Saxifrage going downhill (again)

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saxifrage going downhill (again)

Well, I just can't seem to grow this blessed plant whatever I do. This is planted round the edge of a pond in loamy soil. kept watered enough as advised but it is just going brown and dry. I have just covered it with more soil but it never seems to last more than a season every time I buy a new plant

That looks fine to me. It's normal for old leaves to go brown and die, but there are still plenty of healthy green leaves at the ends of the stems.
    It is rather leggy-looking, but that's probably just because it's not getting quite enough light.

Comment

Saxifrages are alpine plants so they need a well drained soil but it needs to be moist if that makes sense. Its best planted in autumn and it needs sun or semi shade depending on the variety, so anything but a North facing aspect it good. They tend to like neutral to alkaline soil too. But it like ameno says. it looks like a normal saxifrage to me.

It has been an really tough year for new plants we've got somethat are wilting now and we're( Well Miss Grief) have had to water them a couple of times a week even now.

ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

Well, this one in a pot kept in greenhouse over Winter has died, and the one round the pond is getting smaller. It's just an impossible plant to grow.

Comment

Well, it's still with us but even though I top dressed with soil the roots are still showing on the surface.
          Attached Files

Comment

That's normal. It happens with age. The stems get longer and longer over time, and the older leaves die and are not replaced, leaving the lower sections of stem bare. Those sections will then produce extra roots if they are in contact with the soil. They are not the main roots, and there is no particular need to cover them.

Comment

The thing is it isn't an old plant.

Comment

Again, it isn't an old plant but now it's even worse despite keeping it in the conditions advised here. I just can't believe how many plants in my garden die for absolutely no reason at all
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230925_115649.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	2569082

Comment

Now it is completely gone. Dead. Another one bites the dust

Comment

I have tried these a few times and they all died. You are not alone!
                    Try the more succulent rosette forming ones. The only thing that kills them is the fox sitting on them!
                    Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X