Salvia dead

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salvia dead

Well, yet another newly bought plant has bit the dust. A Salvia "Marvel Rose" I planted in a sunny spot this Spring which flowered and did very well. Now it has disappeared with a couple of dead stems you can hardly see in the photo. When the flowers dies I cut them off but the whole plant has stopped growing. I dug out the roots and they are still there but this should be flowering till October! There is another variety of Salvia (a blue type) that is behind it that has been growing for years (very scrappy and scabby now though due to similar leaf mottling to all my mints) so why has this new one died ? Shall I dig out the roots and pot on or leave it ?

Pretty depressed at the rate of money lost on new plants in my garden for absolutely no logical reason.
    Attached Files

I think even salvias have struggled with the dry weather, if they're newly planted. Maybe needed watered till it was established?
    Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

It was kept watered when dry. Will it recover?

Comment

If it's not actually dead.... Scrape the base of one of the stems. If it's green underneath, it's still alive.

Many plants that can cope with drought are only able to do so once established, ie they've got good root systems. I'd care for new plantings for the first year or so, to give them a good start in life.
        Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by Babru View Post
          If it's not actually dead.... Scrape the base of one of the stems. If it's green underneath, it's still alive.

Many plants that can cope with drought are only able to do so once established, ie they've got good root systems. I'd care for new plantings for the first year or so, to give them a good start in life.
          That gives me hope thanks

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X