Salvia cuttings

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salvia cuttings

I took some salvia amistad softwood cuttings in autumn and they have rooted well. They are in the greenhouse which is unheated and have done ok, but I know that salvia amistad can be a bit tender so just wondering whether to leave the cuttings there as am going to move them to individual pots now. Has been down as low as minus 4 in the gh over the last few weeks. Only option really would be to bring them inside. Any thoughts or advice?

Not grown those, but other tender plants get a bit of help when I pot them on, the weather is forecast to warm up a bit over the coming week, will they be ok to sit where they are for a few more days? Can you cover them at night with fleece?

Comment

Have done that thanks. Quite chuffed that taking he cuttings worked, gets me a new plant for free!

Comment

So the cuttings got frost damaged when we had that really cold recent spell where temps went down to minus 6-8 despite being covered in fleece. One in particular has lost nearly all its leaves. Think they might just have survived though.

Comment

I have some penstemon cuttings in my greenhouse and they've come through that really cold snap ok. I have them up on a table, as I've read that higher up gets less cold. My greenhouse always drops below zero in winter, I think it just brings protection from wind and wet rather than anything else.

I read of people down south with all kinds of tender things overwintering in their unheated greenhouses, and wish it worked for me too.
          Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X