No announcement yet.

Sweet Peas 2021….

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New obelisks arrived today. They are really sturdy, think they will look great. Got a 1.5m one and a 2m one. The additional sweet peas I sowed last month have started to come through.

Comment

Been planting mine out in the garden here as they are over 6" tall now. We've had a few overnight frosts, but the ground is reasonably warm for the time of year, so I think they'll grow on OK. I have tons of plants anyway and gave some away, so I can stand a few losses.

Good luck with yours, they're a great cut flower just don't leave any to set seed until the end of the season.

Comment

Thanks they are one of my favourite flowers. Think I’ll see what the weather does over next week or so then get them out.

Comment

Have been taking my sweet peas out of gh for a bit of air for the last few days. Thinking I’ll leave them overnight tonight then plant out at the weekend.

Comment

Finished planting the last of mine out the other day. Bit of a slapdash job to be honest, but they are pretty tough so hopefully will survive. Oddly we have had very little rain here so even though the ground is wet I have watered them a couple of times.

Comment

Planted out all my sweetpeas today.
              I have been hardening them off over the last week.

And when your back stops aching,
              And your hands begin to harden.
              You will find yourself a partner,
              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Planted out the sweet peas I sowed in autumn. They had really good root system so hoping for a good show this year. Tied them into the new obelisks I bought. Got a few recently sowed ones that are not long germinated in the gh so will add those once they are a bit bigger.

Comment

Oh goodness, I haven't even sowed mine yet!
                  Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
                  Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
                  https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
                  Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

First time I have planted in autumn and would definitely do that again, but I also sowed a few weekend so dot think it is too late. Looking a bit chilly here in a few days time hope they are ok.

Comment

Just been outside and discovered that slugs have eaten about a third of the sweet peas I had hardening off in the cold frame. I found 8 juicy, fat slugs in one tray of toilet rolls alone! The sweet peas planted in plastic washing blob tubs haven't been touched by the slugs so I might just use those for sweet peas next year.

Comment

Only sowed mine recently. Blasted them in the propagator then got them in the gh once up. Not planting them.out yet though, I do keep giving them a blow outside though.
                        Northern England.

Comment

Mine are only 2inch high so I’ll be leaving them to grow a few inch taller before planting them out.
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Hello, I just joined for advice specifically on my sweet peas;

I bought seedlings a few weeks ago and finally planted them out this morning. One problem though - in each little pot there was about 5 or 6 seedlings so I tried to take one or two out together to transplant, but in doing so I lost a lot of their taproots. Will they die?? I've just read online that you need to be very careful with the roots and I'm worried they won't survive.

Comment

The ones who lost some roots will survive I expect, they are much tougher than they look. The problem with the ones in the small pots is they are much too close together, so you don't get the best plants that way.

My suggestion would be to either buy some seed or save some from your own plants and grow your own new plants for next year starting around December this year. The seeds germinate very easily provided you can give them a little warmth to start them off.

Happy gardening, and don't forget to water your little plants if the weather is dry in your area.

Comment

Thanks Nick, that's very reassuring. I'll keep a very close eye and make sure to water daily.

I actually have loads left in little pots (bought way too many) so if the ones I planted die I should be able to plant these ones instead. I reckon I'll know if they've survived in about a week?

I wish I kept seeds from last year because I had the most beautiful cerise pink ones that I couldn't get this year...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X