Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hanging baskets - attract bees etc ?

Hi all,
    I have a couple of hanging baskets that I used for toms last year - but I will be growing them in the new raised beds this time round. Can anyone recommend a good selection of insect attracting trailing flowers that could go in the baskets instead ? Preferable available as plugs to make things easy for me....
    The baskets are actually semi-circles screwed to fence posts, if that makes any difference...

A few years ago I had glorious baskets of geraniums and they attracted a hummingbird tiger moth it was the most beautiful little creature and visited frequently, have never managed to attract one since.
    Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

Originally posted by lainey lou View Post
      A few years ago I had glorious baskets of geraniums and they attracted a hummingbird tiger moth it was the most beautiful little creature and visited frequently, have never managed to attract one since.
      Sounds fantastic. Thanks for the tip....

Comment

You can also get hanging basket variaties of sweet peas, I'm trying them out this year in my hanging baskets

Comment

Nasturtiums will attract caterpillars, butterflies and blackfly

While not trailing, Poached Eggs and Calendula will attract hoverflies like nobody's business. You could put something trailing in as well I suppose, like a fuchsia?
          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 25-02-2008, 04:22 PM.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Went to B&Q last week. They are selling small pot plants for 75p each - £6.00 for ten. Mainly surfinias, fuchsias, etc. One of the plants they were selling, I would recommend to attract bees, hoverflies, etc would be the verbenas. They are easy to grow from cuttings, and give a lovely display.

valmarg

Comment

Originally posted by valmarg View Post
              One of the plants they were selling, I would recommend to attract bees, hoverflies, etc would be the verbenas. They are easy to grow from cuttings, and give a lovely display.

valmarg
              Thanks. Would they go into hanging baskets, and 'trail' ?

Comment

Originally posted by gingerneil View Post
                Thanks. Would they go into hanging baskets, and 'trail' ?
                In a word 'yes'.

I've bought several plants, and taken cuttings from them. They root very easily, and provide a mass of colour in the summer. I also plant them in the garden. It is one plant that attracts the humming bird hawk moth, they just love them!!

valmarg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X