Money Plant

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Money Plant

I have a money plant (Jade) growing in 6in. pot in the conservatory and this year it has started to throw out a number of shoots plus a flower head, I thought it was possibly due to the cool to cold conditions of the conservatory that was causing it but it has been in there for 6 or 7 years and this has never happened before, I am not too conserned with the small shoots but not sure about the flower as I know some plants die off after flowering, does this happen with Jade?
    Last edited by rary; 13-01-2020, 08:29 PM.
    it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Do you mean shoots from the base? Mine has a few of those, not much to worry about I don't think. You could cut them off and root them. Think mine has flowered once or twice before. Probably could do with refreshing the potting mix if it's been in the same stuff for 7 years.

Comment

Thanks tmtt, its repoted ever second year, but as long as it keeps going after flowering I'm quite happy
      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

My old plant flowered regularly never got any fruit though, do you get fivers or tenners on them...………………………………...

Comment

Unlike aeoniums and agaves, crassulas are not monocarpic and can probably outlive you!

It can grow very large. Loads of enormous specimens in Chinese take aways.
          Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

I just bought a jade plant, or a money tree... but it's got thinner, less fleshy leaves than I am used to, and the leaves are edged with yellow and red tones. Very pretty! Are they a true jade plant or actually something completely different?Click image for larger version

Name:	jade-plant_mauricio-acosta-rojas.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	2386027
            https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Crassula ovata 'Hummel's Sunset. It's a sport.

I've got a green and white one too.

Watch out for mealybug.
              Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Mine never used to flower, but for the last few years they've flowered every year.
                I think they're more inclined to flower when underwatered, underfed and pot-bound, and when they have plentiful water and nutrients they just grow a lot of leaves instead.
                Certainly, mine are seldom watered, never fed, and unbelievably pot-bound (top growth is around three times the size and weight of the rootball, such that it keeps falling over, and it's literally bursting out of its pot).

Comment

Originally posted by DannyK View Post
                  Crassula ovata 'Hummel's Sunset. It's a sport.

I've got a green and white one too.

Watch out for mealybug.
                  That's exactly it! It's coming with me to work, to brighten up the tiniest little office for three that I've ever seen To be fair, the coffee percolator will bring even more joy

Comment

I have a lovely one which I think is called 'horntree' - can't seem to upload a photo. The leaves are still fleshy but curled and fused to form open ended tubes - really lovely. Have seen several species ones flower and they're fine afterwards.
                    Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Oooh I bought a few succulents recently for the old job, and the horntree was one of them. I just didn't know that it is called that. They're so cool! I would buy more if I see them again

Comment

I think you will find it is "Red Horn".

If you want another interesting one Google Crassula 'Buddha’s Temple'

If you can wait till the summer, try tracking down your local branch of the British Cactus and Succulent Society and going to their summer show. There will probably be loads of plants for sale at good prices.
                        Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Thank you Danny - wow, I've never seen that one before! Buddha's temple is fantastic! I will need to get me one of them

Comment

Glad you liked it. Another one with interesting leaves and a very large head of red flowers is Perfoliata.

Salivate over these!

https://www.pinterest.com/carmenci64/crassulas/

One advantage of buying at a BCSS show is you'll get useful advice as to how easy they are to kill! Don't know about other branches but at mine I got the Temple one for couple of pounds, later saw at Hampton Court for £10!
                            Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X