No announcement yet.

Advice for new chicken coop

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The 'wheels' you mentioned (I had to go back and look) are air ventilation thingummies "

Right - did look a bit flimsy, so that explains it - I'd always want one which moved as easily as possible, but that's just because with my fruit trees, I figure it would be a benefit if the chooks worked all the ground under them over a few months.

Comment

I recommend a treadle feeder - like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/28276451369...7756799&crdt=0

When my chooks had a big shed to play in, they had a hanging feeder inside the shed which was OKish but there was a lot of spillage of food when they ate from it. Birds and rats were coming in to clear up.
      Moving them into the plastic kennel meant there was no room inside for a feeder so, after recommendations on the Vine, I bought a treadle feeder. Its great, pellets last twice as long now, there's no spillage and it can stay outside keeping the food dry. It is in a covered area but basically, its weatherproof.

Comment

Thanks a lot for that tip - one of the things which had been puzzling me while I cogitated designing/building a coop was how to manage the feeding.

Comment

It has the advantage of holding a lot of food too - I top mine up every week. Its a bit bulky to move around if you're thinking of moving location regularly? Easier when its empty.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
            Its a bit bulky to move around if you're thinking of moving location regularly? Easier when its empty.
            I'd buy the feeder before building the coop, so I could added to the construction. The general idea is tho build an A-frame all-in-one run and coop, with handles at one end and some big metal wheels off an old sack-truck at the other, then push it like a large wheelbarrow - I'm only planning on 4 or 5 chooks as there are only 3 of us humans at Rose Cottage :-)

Comment

There are plenty of ideas out there for "Chicken tractors".

Comment

Yep, been doing some research on the Web - most of what I come up with will be dictated by what will work best for the chickens, but there will be an eye kept on my pile of scrap timber etc - I reckon I can get enough together for almost all of it except the feeder and a possible automatic door opener.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X