No announcement yet.

"Eggs scandal"

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geese well recognised as the best of rural guards.

Many years ago I and a couple of friends had a shoot round Litton & Wardlow in the Peaks. After we had finished we always used to go to The Three Stags Head on the A623 for breakfast, the pub was attached to a farm, fresh eggs, home cured bacon, fried bread, field mushrooms in season the full works.

However there was one golden rule, hen or duck eggs were in a basin in the kitchen but if you wanted a goose egg............fetch your own, picking up a sweeping brush on the way out back, if the gander was about there was always going to be trouble.
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I get that....I'm petrified of horses
      ....and yes, geese can be nasty!
      Last edited by Scarlet; 18-08-2017, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Gilly...how about a few of each, a few exbats and some bantams, though silver Sussex are a great starter bird.

Comment

I AM very tempted I was talking to a chap five plots up who has four ex-batts and in the three years he's had them they've never been ill so my worries about endless vet bills are possibly unfounded And Ed who has the plot one up from me was in our shop the other day and we were chatting about gardening, as you do, and the subject of chickewns came up. He said he had one bantam and six Rhode Island Reds but the bigger birds kept picking on the smaller bird so I could have her if I wanted! I told him to hang fire till I get paid next week - it'll give me time to build a wee coop & run for her
          If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

See it is meant to be ,from what i heard,she will be lonely on here own,maybe get at least 1 other and put them together at the same time,in the new place,an expert will be along soon,good luck and happy hen-ing
            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

As Lottie says, she'll be lonely as an only. Never kept bantams so don't know much about their likes & dislikes.

Comment

I would hang fire only the lonely bird too. It's much easier to get 4 all from the same place, less hassle for a new keeper . You aren't having trouble isolating birds until you know they are all healthy. It takes a while integrating two flocks. A lone bird - -as your friend has found out - is often subject to pecking issues. She could well turn nasty when you add some birds to "her" house.
                I rarely took my birds to the vets, they don't rack up big bills. They often die quickly. Just prepared to worm regularly.

Comment

One of our plotholders has done a runner.He had three chooks which are surviving on peoples allotment produce (Just caught one of them sneaking into Jay-els plot)

They have been roaming around the plots for a couple of weeks now and i am very surprised the fox hasn't made a meal of them.
                  I managed to catch one and took it back to his coop. The door was open and the water bucket was covered in green algae!

Its now in with mine (poor thing was starving) and if i can catch the other two I will adopt those as well. If he comes knocking for his chooks back I'll tell him to sod off!

What was this thread about again?
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Good for you Snadger giving it a home.

Comment

Just had a thought Snadger,wonder how many eggs are strew about,or have been picked up by animals of some kind,
                      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
                        Just had a thought Snadger,wonder how many eggs are strew about,or have been picked up by animals of some kind,
                        I somehow don't think there will be any eggs for a while.Their combs aren't red and they are probably old birds.They also haven't had any corn/ cereal based food for a fortnight.

I'm heading to the allotment now and may try and round up the other two and chuck em in with mine..............if i can catch em!

That would keep a few of the other plotholders happy as they have been feasting on their produce!
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks for the advice - Ed is happy to keep Myrtle (Neil named her before even seeing her! ) until we've sorted out a coop and run. I'll get another couple of young birds (yes?) and introduce all three to their new home at the same time

Today I spent a couple of hours tidying up on the plot and FINALLY managed to catch a glimpse of the elusive Myrtle.......and she doesn't look like a bantam to me hahaha. She's almost the same size as the Rhode Islands in the next plot! She's quite chunky and has feathered feet and looks rather sweet. I managed to take a few pics and a video to show Neil and he thinks she's absolutely gorgeous. Ed says he gets a white egg from her nearly every morning too.

If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Gillykat View Post
                            Thanks for the advice - Ed is happy to keep Myrtle (Neil named her before even seeing her! ) until we've sorted out a coop and run. I'll get another couple of young birds (yes?) and introduce all three to their new home at the same time

Today I spent a couple of hours tidying up on the plot and FINALLY managed to catch a glimpse of the elusive Myrtle.......and she doesn't look like a bantam to me hahaha. She's almost the same size as the Rhode Islands in the next plot! She's quite chunky and has feathered feet and looks rather sweet. I managed to take a few pics and a video to show Neil and he thinks she's absolutely gorgeous. Ed says he gets a white egg from her nearly every morning too.

She appears to be a Salmon Faverolle!

I used to have a couple of Salmon Faverolle cockerels who were large beautiful placid birds. I'm jealous as mine were hatched from eggs and I only got cockerels , no hens!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Ooooh how lovely to know what variety Myrtle is

Unfortunately we aren't getting Myrtle now......she's been given to someone who already has three Favorelle hens and a rooster so, I suppose, she'll be happier with others of the same breed. So we're going to do as we'd originally planned and spend the next few months sorting the plot out and Neil will build me a lovely BIG coop and run in the spring
                              Last edited by Gillykat; 14-09-2017, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X