No announcement yet.

Will all breeds happily mix?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a bag should last 3-4 weeks ish. A guide is 100-150g a day per hen Natural Free Range Layers Pellets feeding Instructions
    Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 16-02-2017, 10:33 AM.

Comment

The cockerel will make sure I get new chickens at some stage. Ah they're not an investment, it's because I'm old fashioned and would prefer home grown food (the veg I grow, not the chickens) and free range eggs. I like seeing them potter about too.

A bag every 3-4 weeks is fine, I have to count all the free chicken manure as well as the eggs. I just intend throwing it in on top of the veg in the composter, I hope that's the right thing to do.

Comment

Good - you're thinking on the right lines! its not all about money - its quality and provenance.
        My original chicken shed and fencing is still "almost" as good as new after 20 years - although I don't use the shed for the chooks now - just for storage. So its been a good investment

Comment

I'd love to have some chooks, but (unlike me) a bit wary of the commitments to any more animals as we are planning a few trips away. But love reading about everyones exploits(I'd love to keep bees as well, but that's another story).

Comment

Bees would be lovely but that'll probably have to wait 30 years for me until I retire. Chickens will do for this year to see how I get on.

Comment

I collected the 3 Hyline last night and this morning we got our first egg. It was there when my wife was going to work and she left it in the coop. It's out on the floor rather than the nest box so I hope they don't break it before I get home at 3:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Darwin. View Post
                It was there when my wife was going to work and she left it in the coop.
                It's best to pick them up as soon as you see them. If they get broken accidently they will get a taste for the eggs any eggs laid are then fair game for them to break and eat. It's a nasty habit that is very rarely broken.

Comment

She was at work before she rang and told me, I told her to pick them up as soon as she sees them in future. I'll check as soon as I get home this evening. There was none when I was feeding them this morning at 6:00 or I would've picked them up.

I really don't want them eating eggs or I'll have to eat them.
                  Last edited by Darwin.; 17-02-2017, 10:36 AM.

Comment

I hope they mix well for you! Oh, how I want more chickens! I was told about chicken math but I didn't think it would happen to me!

Comment

I've never heard of chicken math.

Comment

I seen it on facebook. When you go to collect your chickens, it's something like

1+1=2
                        2+3=6
                        3+4=13
                        4+5= 17

After getting them you crave more and they end up multiplying. I only have 2 at the moment but I want at least another 4. You can never have too many chickens!

EDIT here it is https://blog.mypetchicken.com/2014/07/25/chicken-math/
                        Last edited by Teabag; 17-02-2017, 11:54 AM. Reason: chicken math equation

Comment

That makes sense, I got my first two a week ago, I want lots of eggs so got the 3 last night for that. I want different coloured eggs so that's where the Araucana and Maran come in. A leghorn is a good enough layer so there's one of those coming too. My coop only holds 8 so that's all I can manage.

Their run is going to be big though and I really wanted a Wynadwtte, I never even thought of winter layers so maybe I don't have any of those. I wouldn't mind trying to make a fairly basic coop myself and if I was doing that I could do it cheaply and to what ever size I wanted. I could easily fit 4 chickens in that.

Hell, the first two I got are currently living in a homemade coop thats simply a barrel with a door at either end and a perch in the middle, it's in a frame with a 6x3 run. I could do that easily, or a nice wooden one with felt on the roof. I have a roll of felt in the garden shed, it'd be a shame not to use it.

Comment

Ooh I'd love a maran, an araucana, a big fat oprpington and a laced wyandotte, they are so pretty! The 2 I got are Polish, they have only just started laying, very small eggs weighing around 37g. So cute! But as nice as they taste I'd like a bigger egg. I did put in for 2 ex batts with fresh start for hens but due to avain flu collection date was cancelled

I too want to build a biggish run for the chickens as they are stuck in a small coop and run at the moment and I'd love to see them run and spread out a bit. I've got the wood, got some mesh.. just need a drill and some will power!

All the best with the new additions too

Comment

Good news and bad news. I got 3 eggs so that's good.

I tried to introduce the chickens to each other and it didn't go at all well. Cornelius puffed up his neck feathers spread his wings and launched an attack. I have the two pens beside each other now so they can hear each other but not see each other. He keeps crowing and they're all shouting at each other. They're definitely not friends.

Comment

OH STOP IT you lot,all this talk of chickens,when i cannot have any YET ,i try not to be enviouse,by telling myself i can learn lots more for now,i want hens,i want hens,pleased it's working out for you Darwin,tea bag i was thinking only 3 or 4,then it gets to awe,is that realy enough,so lord knows what i WILL end up with
                                Last edited by lottie dolly; 17-02-2017, 06:51 PM.
                                sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X