X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good evening all.

Your hair looks lovely Bren. 😃

Busy afternoon here.
    Spent it trying to level up my front garden where it flooded recently.
    Cut back the dead foliage from my daffodils.
    Potted on some flower seedlings.
    Potted of my pattipan squashes.
    Potted on a few more tomato plants.
    Feeling a bit exhausted now so I had to stop.
    Have a good evening all.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Mornin n’alln’all
      Dull and chill here - but at least the rain has stopped!
      Yesterday we had a massive hail storm- made more fun as we were trying to drive home. It lasted over 20 mins…maybe we were chasing the cloud?! Am I right in thinking they don’t tend to last more than about 5 minutes usually?

We bought some plants for our border and a few tubs, so they are hardening off . I really enjoyed looking at the selection of garden plants, but the cost of some were

Lots of indoor ‘stuff’ today- OH is making bread so the house smells lovely.
      Enjoy your day peeps!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Good morning a frosty start but clear blue skys, will need to get out and water the plants as it's four or five days since we had rain,I don't usually need to bother about watering as it's unusual to have three dry days together, but things are changing, I also thought I had lost my frost guide to ash dieback as well but thankfully I can see signs of buds forming now, so hopefully everything is fine
        in the morning I like to have a slice of bread with butter and jam,whither I have porridge or flakes I still finish off with a slice of bread with butter and jam, OH can't take butter and jam together it's a slice of bread and butter or jam but not together, that is on the rare occasions when she eats bread, if I don't have a piece in butter and jam in the morning I don't feel right for the rest of the day (a piece in butter and jam here means a slice of bread, for me, usually doubled ie a sandwich with butter and jam in the middle,)anyway after a long road for a short cut, my question is when did you last see thin sliced bread on sale in the shops, the majority of loaves on sale are thick of medium sliced, when I worked there was no canteen in the work place where you could get a meal so you carried your piece (lunch pack) with you, "for me that was usually six slice of bread with whatever OH put on it, now with thick sliced bread that would mean you have to buy bread more oftener, so the supermarkets make more money while potentially making people less healthy, . Now that I've got that off my chest I will have a quick cuppa with a butter and jam piece then get out to the garden, have a great day and remember to pass on some smiles
        ​​
        Last edited by rary; 27-04-2024, 07:40 AM.
        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• My favourite bread at the moment Rary is OH’s homemade Irish Soda Bread with some of the flour swapped out to oats/ oatmeal. Yum!

Comment

• Good morning.

I had to smile yesterday when I took Mr GF for his podiatry appointment. The podiatrist (NHS) was a different woman from normal who has just moved and got a new garden. She really took her time over Mr GF's feet while discussing what edibles she could plant this year; definitely strawberries, tomatoes and salad leaves.

Rary, I can't remember when I last saw thin sliced bread. You could always buy unsliced and slice it yourself or even make your own. Fresh crusty bread with a thick layer of butter and homemade strawberry jam😋😋....... A feast fit for a king.

I'm going out shortly to get Mr GF a newspaper and see if there's any more of the gorgeous strawberries in farmfoods today. I was too late yesterday....... sold out.😢

Comment

• Good Morning All Dull but fine again. Have a good day
              Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Good morning all.
                Dull and cool but its dry,

We can buy thick or thin sliced bread here, my OH likes thin sliced.
                I eat spelt bread as the ordinary bread leaves me with a tummy ache.
                My husbands favourite sandwich is the same as yours Rary, a butter and jam sandwich.

Domestics and gardening jobs today if the weather holds.
                Have a good day all.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Funny that we never referred to it as a jam sandwich. As a child it was always bread'n'jam

Comment

• ‘Jam butty’ from where I came from!

Yum!!!

Comment

• Do you remember Ken Dodd & The Diddymen at the Jam Butty Mines in Knotty Ash?

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                        Do you remember Ken Dodd & The Diddymen at the Jam Butty Mines in Knotty Ash?
                        Yes and his Tickling Stick

Comment

• Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                          Funny that we never referred to it as a jam sandwich. As a child it was always bread'n'jam
                          Same here Flo.
                          Gran (as in MrPots gran) used to have a slice of bread and butter with every meal.
                          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Good afternoon just having a quick cup of coffee then will be back outside, doing a bit of weeding today, and also going to start off my gladioli, reading some of the comments about the bread I like Mr. Pots grab like to finish off a meal with a slice of bread, butter and jam, which occurs brings comments from OH, she would like to break me of the habit, but she new what I was like before we got married, even her mother new I liked to finish a meal with a piece with butter and jam, I remember when I was first taken home by OH to meet her parent and have a Sunday meal, so nice and proper till I had what you might say "the rest under the table" and I starred to be one of the family MiL couldn't believe what I could eat and occurs even after biscuits and cake, I still wanted a butter and jam piece , I remember hearing her say to OH "is he ever full, I would rather keep him a week than a fortnight" but just admit I got on well with MiL and she was always happy to feed me, right it's ok for you lot with nothing to do I need to move as I am busy
                            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

• Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post

Same here Flo.
                              Gran (as in MrPots gran) used to have a slice of bread and butter with every meal.
                              I remember going to a "posh" Auntie's house for tea and she served tinned fruit with thin slices of bread and butter!

Comment

• There used to be a fish and chip shop in Stockport where you could eat in. Served with white or brown bread and butter , and a mug of tea or glass of red wine. Brown bread and red wine?…posh or what?

Love your tinned fruit with bread and butter story Flo!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X