No announcement yet.

Thinking of getting hens.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well done,you beat me to it,i just looked them up,large brown eggs,and only lay about 150 a year,more a meat bird,like his name,reminds me of planet of the apes
    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Looking at his colouring I think Cornelius is a Welsummer. I'll get better photos later and put them up with the computer. The phone won't do it.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cornelius_and_Susan2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	2371064

After about 50 attempts and much editing and resizing I'm hoping this has worked for me. This is Cornelius and the renamed Susan. They're a little too active and it's a bit cold for them so I can't get a better shot yet. When they get the new run built and are roaming free I should get some good shots of them.
        Last edited by Darwin.; 12-02-2017, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Nice looking birds and from the looks of it quite an area for them to roam on.
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

What a hansome feller you have there,

In reference to cocks crowing,i came across something about a velcro collar round the neck,if the idea is to restrict the throat,it does seem cruel.
            sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

He was crowing yesterday morning, a lovely country sound. We have triple glazing so I had to open the window to hear him. He's not as loud as the neighbours dogs, so I'm not expecting any complaints.

Comment

Checking on them this evening and I see fox scat on the ground beside their run. I'm contacting a neighbour this week about building my fox-proof run ASAP.

Comment

I have a cockerel who doesn't crow. He also does the business with the laydees! He has fathered four cockerels who are very noisy though. I have managed to give a couple away but old father time will be staying and the other two may become coq au vin!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Electric Fence Against Fox

I strongly recommend to build up an electric fence against the fox. Electrifying a netting helps keeping predators out safely. I found this helpful guide about electric fencing for poultry: https://www.electric-fence.co.uk/inf.../poultry-fence

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X