No announcement yet.

chicken roost question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's another brain teaser Lottie as I know you like them. Could you leave the tunnel up & use it as a run for the chooks.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

In my hexagon hut I put a roosting bar in at 18 inches which was above the nestbox. They don't use it but perch in the rafters seven foot up or on top of the nestbox.

"You can lead a chook to a perch, but you cannot make it roost there"

They naturally perch in trees so tend to get as high as they can in a coop.
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

i did wonder about using the wood frame initially,the site i had planed for first is next to the tunnel,and a lot of clearing up,also would shade to tunnel,as it's only 2ft from the boundary,plus the cover has to many holes in it,was free and well used when we got it given,plus i have my dads old halls green house,and the lotty place,roll on the better weather,so i can get things moving.
        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Since you have to make a door, I'd make it multipurpose. Big enough for you, with a drop down flap at the bottom for the chooks, with bars across the flap to give them a grip.

Higher up have an unglazed window, covered in fine wire netting. Have another drop down flap over this that can be hooked up on a chain to adjust the amount of ventilation.

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
            They naturally perch in trees so tend to get as high as they can in a coop.
            I've told this story before but my pen runs alongside a farmers barn. He took the roof off to re roof it leaving just rafters I had to get big ladders and taped together some long wooden poles trying to poke a load of turkeys and chickens who had roosted up there They wouldn't budge and I had to leave them till morning with fingers crossed that the fox didn't come.

Lotty, I use a shed...like VC says, we've used the door and just cut out a small square at the bottom with hinges on and it drop downs and forms a little plank for the to get in.

Comment

Bit like this Lotty

So the little door drops down and doubles up as a ramp to get into the shed.

Also, they will all cram on the same perch....so I would stick to just one
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Scarlet; 12-01-2017, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Thank you all for your replies,i have no choice just now,will wait till the poly is down,and weather more cooperative,then a complete re think,cannot stay up late tonight looking and thinking,i have to be up before 6AM ,and out by 6.30 am,then am on call,
                sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X