This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commercial Hen rehoming - collection dates

Please add any rehoming info and dates that you see. Lets all have some chickens

19th September 2015
    Lots of collection points

Fresh Start For Hens

BHWT - British Hen Welfare Trust -

Berkshire - Crowthorne - 5th July

Cambridge - Godmanchester - 4th June

Derbyshire - Ashbourne - 18th June

Hertfordshire - Bishops Stortford - 4th June

Kent - Biggin Hill - 5th June

Lancashire - St Helen & Haslingdon - 25th June

South Yorkshire - Rotherham - 18th June

Surrey - Cranleigh - 5th June

Sussex - Arundel - 5th June

West Mids - Coventry - 4th June

They have many more collection locations.

National Charity re-homing commercial laying hens and encouraging support for British farmers
    Last edited by Lumpy; 24-05-2016, 11:13 AM. Reason: Update on dates etc again
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

This is where I got my last lot of ex-bats and where I will get my next lot.

**Hen Rescue - Homes4Hens Home Page

Comment

For some reason i can't get these websites to work... is anyone else have any problems? It's all three not working not just one!

Comment

They all work for me, Stan.

Comment

As an aside, the charge for a hen from these 3 rehoming groups seems to be from £2.50 - £5. I don't know what the difference is between them.

If you have a commercial egg producer nearby, you may be able to buy a few direct from them. Just another option to give these chooks a chance to see out their days in comfort.

Go on, everyone should have a chook or three

Comment

Thanks. I've got them working now...

What condition are they normally in? My 2.5 year old daughter is pretty tough but i wouldn't want to commit to taking some on if they would be distressing for her to look at / live with. (Crikey i sound overly protective!)

Comment

I've never had any, Stan. I'm sure some here have though.

Comment

How about giving the various charities a ring and asking them about it - they might be able to advise you on condition etc.

Other than that someone on here will know!
                  I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

My four hens had bald patches, and very sad and grubby when I got them in Sept 2013, it has been a joy to give them a home and freedom and to see them growing feathers and turning into beautiful hens each with a different personality. We've only had two outbreaks of mites but I think that's par for the course anyway. Two died recently and I miss them a lot.

This is a picture of Maggie when she first arrived...aww!

Just to add they are normally wormed and treated for mites etc before they are sold.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Verinda; 15-08-2015, 09:45 PM.
                    The best things in life are not things.

Comment

They normally look bedraggled and bald (oven ready) This is mainly because they are in molt and not because of the conditions they've been kept in. They soon feather up ok but depending on the time of year may need kept inside until there feathers grow.
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I'm not very experienced with hens but mine have not looked remotely like that again, even when molting. Their feathers (what was left of them) were so dirty.

Personally I do think it was the conditions when were kept in that caused them to look so bad.

Attached Files
                        The best things in life are not things.

Comment

Poor little blighters. Thank you for the pics. Very helpful.

Comment

New dates and places for BHWT ex bat hens

Comment

Looking at the BHWT dates there is one near me on a day that i can do. I've looked on their website however and they recommend that as i have 4 chooks currently, that i should have at least 6 ex-bats as they recommend introducing a greater number than the current flock?!?! That seems a bit extreme and is really more than i had wanted to take on. What are your views on that? I had preferably only wanted 2 or 3 more.

We have a lot of land for them to free range in, but once integrated, only a 2.4m x 4.8m enclosed run when we're not at home. 10 in that space seems a bit much!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X