No announcement yet.

Idiot's Guide to Chickens Needed Please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What size feeder and drinker would I need to get for 3-4 hens?

Feeder - don't buy one. Mine vary from the ceramic pet bowls, stainless dog water bowls and empty christmas choc. plastic tubs. Chickens aren't fussed about how pretty it is. Unless you have a pest issue most things lurking about are fine.
    Drinker - most of mine have shallow tubtrugs but a couple of my small runs for trios have 3l drinkers I think. It is handy to have a spare for winter months when they freeze.

Looking at Flubenvet there are lots of adverts for feed with flubenvet added in - is this worth it or any good?

I think (but could be wrong) it is only in large quantities so you would have a lot of wastage for 3-4 hens and I don't think it has a long shelf life.

Comment

So is this the right Flubenvet?

https://www.viovet.co.uk/Flubenvet_W...benvet&sct_r=1

Some articles say Flubenvet is a script only med and some don't.

With the wormer in the food are the hens fed constantly on it or is it just when they are supposed to be wormed.

I am now beginning to realise that I understand quantum mechanics more than the ins and outs of chickens.
      Last edited by Nicos; 02-08-2015, 06:10 PM.
      I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

You can get it in 5kg bags in my agricultural store. (Sometimes) Have a ring around. They may even order some in if they don't stock it. Cost about £6.50. Use it for 7 days as a normal feed, although do not give treats so that you ensure they've all eaten enough of the medicated feed.
        I've never used it but I know VC has.

Comment

Here ya go http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...vet_84985.html
          I still have half a bag of treated but out of date pellets

Comment

Yep thats the stuff. It is meant to be script only, but is easy enough to get online.

The wormer in food is only fed for a week every 3-6months Unless you have a known issue where they get redosed several weeks later,

And honestly, you are getting more involved than needs be and panicking. Which yes its good in one way, but you will be a good chicken mummy I have no doubts

Comment

I absolutely agree with Norfolkgrey....chicken keeping is really very simple and as a caring human being you already know 98% of what you need.
              1% of things that come up we'll tell you as and when..
              the last 1% are known only to the hens themselves!

As for worming, you wouldn't want to give it constantly. The worms might develop a resistance, you wouldn't want that much chemical in your eggs and it would cost a fortune.

Other than the worming they need somewhere fox proof and draught free to sleep, layers pellets, clean water and a secure run.
              That's it.

Everything else is a bonus.
              http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Brilliant you lot I'm beginning to feel a bit more like a happy clucker now!
                I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

I only got chooks over here because of all the support I got from members on the Vine ( one in particular...and you know who you are )
                  Last edited by Nicos; 03-08-2015, 06:55 AM.
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X