No announcement yet.

CHICKENS - advice

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't worry about them chewing through wood & mesh. I would however be concerned that they may dig there way under the coop. Maybe put a mesh bottom on it or bury some mesh about 1ft deep all round.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by vegboi View Post
      I'm now worried about foxes how to stop them chewing wood and through the wire - any tips

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forumss
      aww bless...he's already worrying about his chooks...and they don't even know him yet!!

...yup- just as worrying as having kids ...'sept kids don't lay yummy eggs!

You'll make a super mommy
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
        I wouldn't worry about them chewing through wood & mesh. I would however be concerned that they may dig there way under the coop. Maybe put a mesh bottom on it or bury some mesh about 1ft deep all round.
        Can I ask how u manage in winter with dark. Mornings and evens in terms go feeding , I'd go to allotment at 5 but worried its dark

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

I'm lucky to have garden chooks so no problem...........I personally would not have them on an allotment, however I know a few folk do.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Snadger has his on an allotment, I think he may have his pop hole on an auto opener and I'm sure he's got a treadle feeder. You only need to open up when it's light. So no point going to open up at 5 during the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
              aww bless...he's already worrying about his chooks...and they don't even know him yet!!

...yup- just as worrying as having kids ...'sept kids don't lay yummy eggs!

You'll make a super mommy
              I hope so as ill never have kids it's the closet thing I'll get to them. 😜

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                I'm lucky to have garden chooks so no problem...........I personally would not have them on an allotment, however I know a few folk do.
                I have no choice as the village we live in hasn't got a garden and all the houses are grade 2 listed. It's a quirky little place

Comment

Treadle feeder and automatic pop hole opener, both expensive but worth it.

Comment

If coop is in run and run is totally enclosed a permanently open pop hole allows chooks to go and come as they please.
                    I have a hanging pheasant type feeder with a spring on the bottom. They peck the spring and receive there breakfast
                    It holds 20Kg of layers pellets so only needs filled once a week, usually weekend when I can devote more time to chooks.
                    I put water in coop to stop it freezing when its baltic outside.
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Vegboi asked for a piccie of my setup and I don't know how to send piccies on PM's. Mine was made from scrounged materials and cost nowt.
                      This was a while ago and the whole lot, including the hexagon coop made with six old doors has been painted white.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Snadger; 18-10-2014, 08:06 AM.
                      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by vegboi View Post
                        I have no choice as the village we live in hasn't got a garden and all the houses are grade 2 listed. It's a quirky little place

It's a stunning place to live
                        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]50628[/ATTACH]

Vegboi asked for a piccie of my setup and I don't know how to send piccies on PM's. Mine was made from scrounged materials and cost nowt.
                          This was a while ago and the whole lot, including the hexagon coop made with six old doors has been painted white.
                          Wow arnt you cleaver !! It looks great. How many chicks do you have? I was told they have to be on soil and bark and not flags . Is this right? Have u a pic of your watering butt system really intrigued and can't envisage it.

Thanks very much Snadger for all the advice it's much appreciated.

Mark

Attached Files

Comment

Are these the items I need?

Attached Files

Comment

Well really disappointed not sure I was expecting, thought it would be like an avery that I could walk in lol but you are all right no way 8 birds would fit. I contact company but they said they would

Attached Files

Comment

If you're DIY skills are any good you could tag another coop on...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X