No announcement yet.

Coop tips needed please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's so exciting! I remember so clearly the day we got ours. We let them into the run the first morning, then set up deck chairs in the shed and just sat watching them for hours with a cup of tea! That proud, delighted feeling! Can't beat it!

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

Ali - that's me! I sat with a cup of coffee painting my sign and chatting away to them. I only came in as it started raining!
      You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

OK...so we need to know how you are going to cook it....once you've stopped stroking and admiring the egg!!!
        Last edited by Nicos; 26-04-2014, 06:06 PM.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I have always photographed 'first eggs'.still a thrill. You will get many hours of pleasure from your girls.Have they got names yet?
          (First double yoked egg is hilarious..you can't quite believe it)
          Gardening forever, housework whenever!

Comment

Here's some (rubbish!) photos as promised! I can't get them to stay still or pose, they're not bothered about me unless I have food! They are very nosey and one nearly escaped today when I was cleaning them out! They are amazing at clearing stuff! That's why we've called them our eggs-cavators
            Total egg tally so far = 5!!!! WOW!
            Can't tell them apart yet, one is very nosey, one is a bit skittish and one has a bit missing out of her beak, but I can't name them until I can tell them apart!
            Attached Files

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Nicos - I made a sweet pastry with 3 egg yolks today (how decadent!) to surround a raspberry and rhubarb tart. I went on a bit about how they were our eggs in the pastry etc. and probably bored my family to death! But, they ate it - so they have to listen to me! ha!

Comment

Quick update. Just been out to catch them and put them to bed as it's getting dark and they've all tucked themselves up and done it themselves! - ah bless em! They looked so cute when I looked in - in two little rows!

Comment

Are they on the perch, Ancee? I've just said goodnight to my 4 - they took 3 days before they all hopped up on the perch for the night. I love the way they mutter to themselves (or is that me?)

Comment

I started with 3 warrens and have distinct memories of trying to shoo them up to bed, standing in the run/coup in my ' going out clothes'. They took no notice and kept coming down much to the amusement of my friends watching.Doesn't do anything for ones hair!
                    You can get little coloured plastic rings to go on their feet, that's how we separates ours.Now I just buy different breeds, it's much easier!

Comment

Veggiechicken, they all have different little voices too. Some higher pitched than others.just hope my neighbours don't hear me chatting to them in chickenspeak..yes there's no hope!

Comment

When we first had chooks, we put a voice-activated tape recorder in the coop overnight to record their mutterings. It was fascinating - like singing! We gave the tape to a psychiatrist friend who said it was the most relaxing sound he'd heard - he'd play it in the car when driving May have to do it again!!
                        Last edited by veggiechicken; 29-04-2014, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Yes vc, they all are on the perches. Like they just know exactly what they are supposed to do! I also speak chicken! But then I have a special voice reserved only for dogs, cats, chickens and also fish! My family think I'm a bit strange - but I also have a voice especially for them! :O

Comment

[QUOTE=ancee;My family think I'm a bit strange - but I also have a voice especially for them! :O[/QUOTE]

Like it ancee!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X