Hens Crowing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hens Crowing

Hi, I have a Brahma thats just turned 6 Months old, she is laying an egg a day but is Crowing and Stretching her neck like a Cockerel, I have been told that it is possible she could be an Hemaphrodite which means she is a cockerel but can also lay eggs, I have never heard of this and she is quite happy scratching around with my other Hens.
    Is it even possible for a hen to change to a Cockerel, I am worried that she may harm the others, She doesn't have any signs that she is a male, No Spurrs or Wattle like a male bird, any advise would be helpful , thanks Mark

A hen can't change into a cockerel. If it's a boy he won't harm the girls. Crowing and stretching it's neck would suggest that it is a boy. Why do you think it's a girl? How long have you had them. Is it laying eggs? Have you got any photos?

Comment

Sorry, just retread your post! She's laying! I have heard of the dominant hen in a flock "acting like a male" although if you have several birds how do you know that particular bird is laying eggs. I'd still love to see a photo....

Comment

Photo

Thanks for the reply, I have 4 Girls and am getting 3 or 4 eggs a day, the other 3 Girls are Rhode Island Red cross and the Brahmas egg is completely different to the others, speckled and larger. She is a lot bigger and makes a funny noise when laying which I have just put down to the Breed, more of a growling noise when she sits. I haven't as yet heard her crow although my neighbours are quite adament she does when they are on the Allotment.

Attached Files
        Last edited by Manchesterblue; 02-03-2014, 09:43 PM. Reason: Photo

Comment

Lots of hens make noise when laying. I think your neighbours may be hearing someone else's bird to be honest I wouldn't worry about it if she is laying. Lovely looking birds.

Comment

Did you buy her in Thailand? there is a lot of this sort of thing going on there.
            photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

I am surprised you say she lays eggs bigger the your other birds. I have a Brahma, her eggs are relatively small for the size of her, they are half way between bantam eggs and hybrid eggs. I was given her egg parents very pedigree Brahmas. She hatched not much bigger than a bantam chick and her legs grew incredibly quickly. She stetches her neck when announcing she has laid an egg. I really wouldn't worry.

Comment

Hi, looking at the photo and the feathers on its rump and cone I am certain that it is a young male. I have been breeding brahmas for 20 years and they have a "rose" comb rather than an upright one like RIRs. How it's laying eggs I'm not sure, brahmas grow and mature very late compared to other breeds and go through the leggy stage as in your photo before they plump out and come into lay, I can send you photos of mature brahma males and females if that helps?

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Bill! hahaha that made me laugh
                  You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Thanks Coveredinoil

If you could let me take a look at your pictures that would be good, Is there really that much of a difference, she has got a lot plumper since the photo so could take another today and post it on here so be 100% sure.

Thanks

Comment

Thanks If you could let me see your photos that would be great.
                      I will take another Pictuire today so I can be 100% sure.

Comment

One of my hens a cotswold legbar is very vocal, especially when there is a cat, a bird, and unusual cloud, a strong wind, or her friend escapes the pen and she can't get out. Its not exactly crowing, there isn't the classic cockadoodle do, more of a very loud buck buck help.

Do you think your neighbours might be getting the crows wrong, you might just have a scaredy chicken?
                        I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

If you are getting 3 or 4 eggs a day though and he/she clucks when she's laying?? Have you actually seen her in the nest box?

Comment

Hope these help.

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app
                            Attached Files

Comment

Any chance you could put those photos back up using "best" ? They are too small. Really interested. We had a thread once before with sexing brahma but I can't find it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X