double yokes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• double yokes

How do you get double yolk laying chickens? Are some breeds more likely to produce them ;is it luck of the draw; or are you able to buy guarenteed layers? I buy the eggs whenever possible but they are often just not available.
    Last edited by Nicos; 29-03-2006, 07:56 AM.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Waitrose used to sell Double yolkers years ago when I lived in London. If you have a branch near where you live you could try?
    Jax

Comment

I was always told it was just luck.
      Best wishes
      Andrewo
      Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Probably Waitrose had a sorting process for their eggs and the ones that happened to be doublers they put in a separate box?

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

That's where I get them from, but I recall either Tesco's or Sainsbury's had them occasionally (it says hand selected on the box!). Rest of the time I buy free-range farm eggs.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

my girls lay the occassional double yolker, tend to be in a really large egg. I haven't noticed a pattern or anything, just occasional and random!

Comment

I found a double yolker for the first time about a month ago. I buy organic free range eggs would this make a difference to the chances of finding a double yolk compared to battery eggs?
              [

Comment

I got a double yoker in an free range egg from the supermarket (Asda) yesterday. It was the first one I had seen for years.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Local farm to us advertises Double yokers, I guess if you use a strong light you can see whats in there & sort them by hand
                  ntg
                  Never be afraid to try something new.
                  Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                  A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                  ==================================================

Comment

I know nothing about chickens but wouldn't a double yolk egg be twins in the same shell? If that is the case then perhaps it's a case of twins running in the family like humans? If you breed a twin chick to another twin then perhaps you would increase the chances of more twins/double yolkers in the next generation of birds?
                    OK I'll stop now and go and boil my head
                    Jax

Comment

Good old Google !

DOUBLE YOLK EGGS:
                      Double Yolkers appear when ovulation occurs too rapidly, or when one yolk somehow gets "lost" and is joined by the next yolk. Double yolkers may be by a pullet whose productive cycle is not yet well synchronized. They're occasionally laid by a heavy-breed hen, often as an inherited trait.

Amazing what you can find, I can bore the guys down the pub withthis little nugget now
                      ntg
                      Never be afraid to try something new.
                      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                      ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X