Scaly leg mite?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scaly leg mite?

Have found the start of red mite in my coop (the only place I didn't paint with creocote!!) so thought I'd check over the birds..

One is plucking feathers which I thought could have been the red mite, but then I caught the culprit.. I've one who's eating her own and other feathers - grr! I thought she was moulting but now I see why she looks so scruffy.

Anyway, no other signs of infestation, bar what I think might be leg mite? This ones scales look a bit raised, but I'm not sure if it was her posture as she is broody.

What do you guys think?

TIA!
    Attached Files

Photo is a bit low res- ill upload another one shortly- power cut at work, so having to use phone!

Comment

Comment

Looks ok to me Chris. Hens moult their scales once a year, a bit like feathers, but it's a more gradual process. Can't remember how old your hens are but chances are they are just loosening slightly in preparation for shedding. The first sign of scaly leg is often a dusty like appearance to the leg (in the absence of any actual dust in the pen of course!). As the mites burrow in they push the scales outwards and there are often crusty looking deposits over and around the scales, this is mite poo.

If you are at all worried then either a dunk in surgical spirit or a good slathering of Sudocreme over the whole leg and foot works a treat. I used to only use surgical spirit but have slowly converted to Sudocreme as it has worked so well with some bad cases I have had in (rescue cockerels). The downside is that it is messy and you may find it is a two man job until you get used to doing it. I upend the bird on a table or other surface so it's lying on its back with the legs in the air and massage the cream into the legs. The cream will wear off but will remain on the legs long enough for it to do its stuff.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thank you RH, that's great They're still young, less than a year - not sure exactly as can't remember when the last lot were replaced (this is one of the original ones that survived that attack), but still yes than a year I'd have thought!

Comment

Sudocreme, good tip. I use Vaseline.

Comment

Is that safe for still consuming the eggs?

Comment

I would think so! There's not much in sudocreme.
                Last edited by Scarlet; 05-06-2013, 06:36 PM. Reason: Got would and wouldn't mixed up!!!

Comment

I use Vaseline too!
                  .... be aware though....as you cautiously approach her with a blob of 'whatever you choose to use' on yr finger- she may think it's a treat and take a massive beakful of it!!!!

yeh- I know- I wouldn't have thought of that either

Have to say it was amusing seeing her decide it wasn't a nice mouthful and not being able to spit it out ( I was actually a bit worried it'd block an airway or something)

You live and learn eh????
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

That brings back memories of my brother grabbing a chunk of cheese from the fridge only to find out that it was beef dripping!! it still makes me laugh!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X