Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extra large feeders/drinkers - any downside?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have one of those (expensive) tripod water things- if you haven't used yours yet send it back! Its the first to freeze and needs checking many times a day to see if the water is coming through properly. its ok for the ducks as they are fierce enough to agitate it to get it going.
    I agree with RH- get a bucket- a shallow rubber type one that you can buy for horses feed- easy to remove ice from, won't break and too shallow for a hen to drown in! ours never get dirt in? Hens seem to know not to poo in there....
    As for feed- we never leave any around at night(it attracts rats)so your safe treadle feeder sounds just the ticket. What a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
      The 'dirty bucket' problem is one that would bother me.
      If I was still keeping chooks I would be working on a 'constant fill' system based on a ball-valve, and keep the 'header-tank' outside the run (and covered). Having seen how well these work for other creatures, I'd prefer to use that approach, direct off the mains if mains were available, ir from a small header tank if not.
      I use the plastic buckets with the metal carrying handle. They only get dirty if the water gets a bit low and the birds perch on the edge to get a drink, although this only really happens with the bantams and cream legbars who are smaller. Saying this there is always one bird or other who will rest a muddy foot on the edge even when the bucket is full to the brim but a little mud/poo isn't really going to hurt if the buckets are cleaned regularly. When I refill I take a scrubbing brush round with me and give the buckets a quick scrub and rinse prior to refilling, it only takes a minute or two.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X