X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's very cute caroline!
    Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

thanks! it works well

Comment

Chickens? I'll have to get some pictures of my two and their home up on here.
        Last edited by mrgrower; 21-02-2013, 05:25 PM.
        Today I will be mainly growing Vegetables.

Tonight The bloody slugs & snails will eat them!

https://www.facebook.com/manchester....ts?ref=tn_tnmn

Comment

Our chooks in their home-made coop.

Attached Files
          Last edited by JeffUK; 18-03-2013, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Tree orpingtons

Hi,

I got my chicks last summer when excited that had a garden for first time ever! I rather unimaginatively bout the coop in the attachment. Works well and is a good set-up, however if I was do do again with all my nine months experience ink would make my own!

However, I have been three ranging my large three orpingtons in the garden and unfortunately I underestimated the sheer amount of poop for these big birds. Not helped y face they seem to like to hang out on the patio. Therefore I have promised the other half that I will fence them up most of the time - she wants a pretty garden, I want a productive one!

However, as I will still lock them away at night I am wondering I need to get a full frame (seen large aluminium ones advertised that are walk in,but won't that put a lot of shade on the garden?) or whether it would be better to just out up some fencing? I hope foxes are not too much of a worry during the day(we go work) and they have been out for the last few months anyway. I ensure I lock them in their roost at night and let out at first light.

What do others think?
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Caldan View Post
              I hope foxes are not too much of a worry during the day(we go work) and they have been out for the last few months anyway. I ensure I lock them in their roost at night and let out at first light.

What do others think?
              Foxes are sly and will come anytime, day or night. Usually for us, they become more of a problem in April and may when they have young to feed.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffUK View Post
                Our chooks in their home-made coop.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34403[/ATTACH]
                I really like your design, both practical, lots of character and looks smart!

Comment

I don't keep banties or guinea fowl any more but I love looking at all your inventive ideas for hen houses. They are built so well! I wonder if any of you skilled carpenters has made one of these "pedal bin" feeders.
                  Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                  Endless wonder.

Comment

Will show that to my OH, hes always moaning about feeders

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
                      I don't keep banties or guinea fowl any more but I love looking at all your inventive ideas for hen houses. They are built so well! I wonder if any of you skilled carpenters has made one of these "pedal bin" feeders.
                      I've considered making one of these mothhawk, but one of my birds is too stupid to find her way out of an open gate, I think it might be a bit beyond her. I do like them though.
                      I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                        I've considered making one of these mothhawk, but one of my birds is too stupid to find her way out of an open gate, I think it might be a bit beyond her. I do like them though.
                        She's playacting, Mikey, I've never seen a stupid hen yet (mind you, my experience is limited to banties, which I guess are less inbred, like ponies as opposed to horses)
                        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                        Endless wonder.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys and gals.

Comment

Two of our smaller coops, small one purchased second one home made (not by me may I add!!).
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                              If you like to tinker, its hard not to look at making changes. Our garden will be going through some more transformation come the spring, and the chooks will benefit with a bigger area to play in some cover and concealed dustbathing, aswell as securing their play area further.

We are planning on letting one of our chook hatch some chicks when she gets broody this year. She had three bouts at it last year, our DD can't wait, I think we'd all like a few extra.
                              Beware Mikey!!!! Hatched 8 chicks this year and only got 1 hen. Coq au vin anyone?
                              Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Well just to show how unpredictable hens are she wasn't broody in the slightest this year.
                                I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X