First Egg!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Egg!

I've not been on the forum recently (recovering from Christmas and the shock of returning to work!), but felt I had to post that our Cream Legbar, Rascal, laid her first beautiful pale blue egg on the 2nd January . I am so chuffed (as you can probably tell!). We got her at the end of July last year, aged 9 weeks along with Sage (a Barnevelder), Onion (a lemon cuckoo Orpington), and Pigeon (a lavender Pekin Bantam).

Rascal has always been the most outgoing of the quartet, if I don't watch her she will jump on my back (and once on my head) when I bend down to say hello to them.

She has now found her voice, announcing to the world each new arrival. She also went through the same routine at bedtime the other evening, even though she had already laid an egg that morning - I'm not sure why?

It was nice to start to fill up the egg skelter that my partner got me for Christmas. Once she had laid four, we had them as soft boiled eggs and very nice they were too.

I wonder how long it will be before the others start?

Cream Legbar eggs are wonderful and low cholesterol too, apparently. I use Sage's to make my cake mixes with as they are so wonderful golden and eggy.

Congrats!
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Lower Cholesterol? Thats surely got to be an advertising gimmick

Comment

Fantastic news!!!! How have you cooked it???
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

its such a nice feeling heather when you get the 'first egg'! i remember it very well. So much that I didnt want to use it!! enjoy!!

Comment

i'd like a couple CL, but probably won't as I've heard they can be a bit noisey Mine make a bit of a racket if I've not let them out of their run by 7am, so don't want to annoy neighbours close by too much

Comment

There's really nothing quite like a first egg. A truly special occasion!

Jules
              Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Oh yes, forgot about that, great feeling hey? I'm afraid it's all downhill from here, you'll be hooked in no time, if you're not already

Comment

I think I already am hooked, my family and friends think I'm mad when I tell them I give them grapes as treats at the weekend (and porridge when it's cold!).

We even have a 'chicken-cam' to check up on them when we are at work

Comment

you sound just like me heather! i also feed grapes as treats and porridge while its cold. i also give them left over roast dinners on sundays (minus the meat) flapjacks occassionally and they loved mince pies at xmas!! i think that we all spoil our chooks on here though!!

Comment

I do the same
                      I give mine ready break, instead of porridge.
                      Roasted dinner etc.

But I would love to get hold of a camera so I can check up on them every 10 mins.
                      Only problem, I have no power supply at the allotment let alone internet connection

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X