Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrated hen?

I may be imagining this.

I feel as if my broody is getting frustrated with my constantly taking her out of the coop, moving her on from some corner she squats in, etc. She seems to be taking out her 'anger(?)' on the other two, if I move her on, she'll sprint off and go and peck the others - they ignore her. Is it possible for her to be frustrated? If this a step in her coming out of it? I'm assuming it's hormones.. her comb has gone very bright red... much more red than the ones in lay.

I'm thinking of putting in a broken egg shell, to see if she'll think she's hatched one and up and leave. However, bit concerned she may peck the shell, and then eat it -> egg eating.

I've decided that I'm not going to dunk her this time around, and just let her get on with it as we've enough going on as is currently (plus she's bald underneath - I don't want her to get cold... last time she was fully feathered, and I had a hair dryer on stand by when I went to put them away for the night).

So yes, can they get frustrated from not hatching? I've no intention of hatching, I don't have the facilities, or time/knowledge.

I don;t know if they actually feel frustrated as such, but some hens will stay broody on and off until they have been allowed to sit and maybe raise some chicks. The easiest solution is to let her sit, maybe on just a couple of eggs (mark them so you don;t confuse them with freshly laid ones) and let her do a complete incubation. Some hens just need to sit the whole term, regardless of whether they hatch anything or not (I realise your eggs won't be fertile). After about four weeks sitting they do seem to understand nothing will come of it and return to normal. I think they need to do this to "re-set" their hormones before they will return to laying normally.

Alternatively you let her sit on a few fertile eggs and hatch them ................ !!!
    Last edited by RichmondHens; 31-03-2011, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Ah, I'd not thought of that. Could do that, thanks. Heh, my wife would kill me + the above reasons means I can't yet (it'd be unfair to numerous parties if I did).

Off to mark some eggs!

Comment

pity you don't live near me, none of mine are going broody, boo hoo....

Comment

It's Sod's Law! I have 9 eggs under a large Buff Orpington (I think she could have taken 12 but it's her first time so didn't want to risk too many) and 6 bantams all either with chicks or incubating. Some are hatching as I type ...............

Comment

Post the eggs to me, I'll post the chicks back when they're all up and about cheeping

Comment

HI Chris - thanks for this post! my maran is very determined she is sitting tight on the nest box at the moment. I toyed with the idea of hatching but decided I'm not set up just yet. She is getting vicious with me and is grumpy with the hens - I chuck her out twice a day to eat and drink and the poo she did this afternoon - I know what RH meant when she said a labrador would have been proud... Nearly took a photo!

Also off to mark some eggs!

Comment

Mine is definitely getting more aggressive, just so odd why she'll take it out on the other hens (maybe she remembers what happened and won't chance it with it ).

Fingers crossed she snaps out of it before we go away, I can't be doing with explaining to the neighbours not to take eggs marked! (or be reliant on them to be taking them away!).

Hen: take note, you've a month. hehe

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X