Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
    Thanks RH!

That means a big change of plans then. She's currently in a cardboard box in the corner of the old tack room. Concrete floor with shavings on. I was going to put her in the dog cage, for security, as she has a large area (6'x4') at the moment.

I have a coop I could use, and could easily put it on grass, but have no fencing.

Why didn't I think of all this before I bought the eggs!? D'Oh!
    Is the security issue to do with rats? Otherwise she could just be loose in the tackroom for a few days. You could leave the box in place without the bedding in it and cut a doorway in the side so the chicks can get in and out.

Comment

I hope that made sense G4 - reading it back it all looks rather garbled!!!

Comment

I figured that any Rat will be just as likely to find them in the coop as the tack room. We have a few large Moggies in the garden too, they sneak in from next door to fight with my old Siamese. So I thought the Dog cage would be the safest bet.

Still think I'll stick with that for the first week. As you say, we don't know how many Chicks, if any, we'll get!

Any news from Kirsty yet?
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Yay! My wee chicky made it through the night!

It's a lot smaller than the other two, but this morning it's upright, eating & drinking. Just got to watch that other two don't beat it up - they have tried, little ratbags.

It's my special chicky, I may just have to keep it......there is NO way, on this earth, that I can just keep two. My shortlist is about 6 so far. This is sooooo hard!

Jules
          Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

LOL Jules! Glad it made it - must be a fighter!

Comment

..well, my tiny booted bantam died aged about 8 days old, so sad, but he was so very wee, even though he had been getting his feathers and doing the occasional hop, skip and run... And the long awaited silver partridge dutch bantam, finally hatched on night 23 and then promptly died. It was such a big healthy looking chick as well! Boo. What a morning.

Comment

Awww - that's sad Jess! ((((HUGS)))) from me.

Comment

So sorry for you Jess. Understand exactly how you feel, as we had a similar outcome last weekend. But, I'm going to try again!! We also bought three 4 day old chicks from a local breeder so my son (age 12) has still got chicks to look after and rear.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                    I figured that any Rat will be just as likely to find them in the coop as the tack room. We have a few large Moggies in the garden too, they sneak in from next door to fight with my old Siamese. So I thought the Dog cage would be the safest bet.

Still think I'll stick with that for the first week. As you say, we don't know how many Chicks, if any, we'll get!

Any news from Kirsty yet?
                    Was working a long day yesterday which is why no updates! Nothing yet, but I have had fluctuations in temp, so am giving them a few more days in case their development got set back a little bit.
                    If nothing has happened by weds/thurs I'll just accept that it wasn't meant to be this time.
                    Kirsty b xx

Comment

Awww ((((HUGS)))) mate - hope all goes well!

Comment

I just realised that today is day 18, my that went faster than the last time... I already turned them this morning, without realising what day it was, do you think they will be ok?
                        I'm not sure on how much of the shell they should be taking up by today, but i'll candle them this afternoon (when i've found the torch - kid's!!!).

But i was wondering it I should give them a day or 2 more as I started off with the low temp, which is what I thought was why my last batch didn't do so well.

**Update**
                        have found torch and just had a looky and they seem to be taking up around 2/3 of the shell... Temp was set at just above 37 for the first week, and then I increased it to just above 39 as using a still air incy, and noticed the difference with the temp of the eggs when turning. Hence why I wondered if I should go another day before increasing humidity. Which has been stable between 35 and 42 throughout (unlike last time).

Suggestions on a postcard... I don't want to be labelled as a mass murderer just yet!
                        Last edited by sheena; 16-08-2010, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Doesn't look like its meant to be this time

Himself has candled eggs and listened intently at them and nothing. But due to the temp trouble we havehad, he agreed to give them an extra day or three.

This morning he comes in from work and says 'did' you crack and egg in there last night?' 'no' says I and we go investigate. All the shell has fallen off an egg, leaving only the membrane covering what was in it.
                          I think they may have started to develop and then died, and they didn't look as big as they should have, a couple of eggs have developed leaks, its going to pong soon and I have the unenviable job of getting them into placcy bags and out of my house before any explode

I'll clean out the incy and have another go after our hols.

How is everyone else doing??
                          Kirsty b xx

Comment

Woo hoo, exploding eggs are truly horrible! I opened a couple of unhatched eggs a while back and when I tapped them open with a stick they went off bang, quite loudly, and made me jump. Green gunk everywhere - gross!

Comment

I've just been out and checked again! I got right down, and peered in. She fluffed up all her feathers and told me to *&£@ off in no uncertain terms!

Still no signs though.

I can't stand this...

Comment

OK, we got back later than expected, as I simply HAD to eat! LOL

Went to see Broody, got hissed at, and noticed broken egg shell!!!!

By the light of my Mobile, I could see sommat yellow underneath her, but didn't dare venture closer. I just turned the phone camera on and took a piccy. Not a lot to see, but it's a start. Fingers crossed for some happy news tomorrow!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X