Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
    Wassup with your three-year old Vicky!?
    Last weekend was a nasty cut on the head (they glue it now, not stitches!) and yesterday he tried to cut the top of his ear off with a chair... He's a boy.

Anyhow...we have two babies now and another pipping - it's ever so exciting and Mummy Chicken doesn't seem too bothered by us oogling her - which is lucky as we have to 'check' at least 3 times a day (for proper scientific research type stuff too)

Congrats sqweek01 and I hope yours are ok Gillian62!

Comment

As i type I can hear 2 call ducks squeaking(8 more potentially to hatch) and one silkie squeaking amongst a batch of 24 eggs in other incubator - silkie, pekin, polish, wyandotte and buff orpingtons. I must not peek!!!!

Comment

Oooh the tension! Actually I can honestly say I've had enough of hatching this year. No more eggs going under for me. Just got my last 6 chicks to sex (too early yet) so I know what I've got and what their fates will be - sell, keep or eat!

Comment

How cute is that chick!!
          JM

ps I checked my eggs today and noticed that two have bright green splodges on them, which doesn't look hopeful. I do hope this lot aren't duff too. They are due tomorrow and Deirdre has sat very well..........................
          Last edited by jessmorris; 09-08-2010, 08:21 PM. Reason: added comment

Comment

I helped the 2 out yesterday evening, as the membrane was that dry they were stuck in the shell. One is doing fine, but the other is struggling with splayed legs. We have been trying splinting them today, but it doesn't seem to be able to hold it's weight up. Does anyone have any suggestions please? Have got water introduced to both, but neither keen on food.

Comment

I make my crumbs into a damp mash which they seem to prefer when they are tiny.....

Comment

Originally posted by gillian62 View Post
                the other is struggling with splayed legs. We have been trying splinting them today, but it doesn't seem to be able to hold it's weight up. Does anyone have any suggestions please?
                Hi

Try tying the legs together with enough length left between the legs, to provide the correct gap. stops the legs splaying outwards when the chick tries to stand. (hope this makes sense!)

piglet
                Last edited by piglet; 10-08-2010, 03:51 AM.

Comment

Either drop tiny amounts of crumb onto the newspaper so they see them drop and it sparks their interest, or stab a pencil into the dish of crumb imitating a beak and make cluck cluck noises (yes really).

As others have suggested try splinting the legs with wool or similar soft material.

Comment

I believe both HayleyB and Nicos have successfully splinted splayed legged chicks, using plasters...
                    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I've hobbled a chick with splayed legs, done it a few times, nearly always worked. Best 'string' I found was to get some kitchen-towel roll, and tear a strip off the edge, about an inch wide by 2 squares long, twist gently, and it makes a very soft 'string' for hobbling.
                      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Doesn't look to be successful at all, dragging foot behind like doesn't belong. Have strapped now for 2 days, no improvement. Think we may have to say goodbye to the little one, he is getting weak, not eating/drinking, although he still has a mean cheep cheep on him. Any ideas on best way to let him go?

Comment

If he's fighting, give him a chance! stick with the plasters as Hayley B and Nicos both did, it worked for them. Good luck and speedy recovery lil one. Might be worthwhile pm'ing them both and asking them for more details on how they did it.

Loving the pick vicky
                          Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

.....oh blimey, day 20 and I'm like a cat on a hot tin roof! My dutch bantam eggs show no signs of pipping, cheeping or anything else, and I wondered if it is worth candling them tonight, or leaving them be.....two of them feel very light too...mm - what to do?..

Good luck with the splinting G62, I hope it works for your loud cheeper!

Comment

Originally posted by gillian62 View Post
                              Doesn't look to be successful at all, dragging foot behind like doesn't belong. Have strapped now for 2 days, no improvement. Think we may have to say goodbye to the little one, he is getting weak, not eating/drinking, although he still has a mean cheep cheep on him. Any ideas on best way to let him go?
                              Chicks cheep loudly when they are stressed about something. A happy chick makes very little or no noise. We had one last year we couldn't help (after 2 days of splinting) and I broke his neck in the end as he was with a group of other chicks under a hen and they just kept leaving him behind.

It's obviously up to you, but if he is now weakening and not eating or drinking it would be kinder to put him out of his misery.

Comment

Chick died through the night, which is really the best for him. Didn't realise loud cheeps weredistress calls. Just need to look into how best to look after the remaining chick. I have 7 week old chicks but they are outside and too big Iwould expect to be with it. My 12 year old son hasn't woken yet, and I have to tell him the news. He was upset enough last night.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X