Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No pics I'm sorry. Not only has the camera had a hissy fit, but when I went back down they wouldn't come out of the nest boxes. One of them keeps running into an occupied box and carrying on until it gets chucked out and then runs in with someone else.
    Our chooks are running along the top of the nest boxes (tin) and making a racquet. Those poor new battie's are not getting the fun in the sun and relaxation that people expect!
    They are getting into the smallest darkest corner and cowering.
    I'm sure they'll settle eventually, but they only came out of their cages 2 days ago, so shell shocked is to be expected.
    Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

• Managed to put 4 'Heinz 57' eggs under a broody yesterday...due Easter Sunday!!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Hurrah! Hurrah! My lovely broody Miss Buffy Rose has finally started sitting and hissing. This means the eggs in the incubator (5 days to go) can be hatched and reared by her. Hurrah!

Comment

• chicks are hatching in incubator behind me as I type!!! 40 eggs that were candled fertile at 10 days- will let you know how it goes plus pictures later - I promise!!!

Comment

• Nastiness on the feral farm.

The least feathered battie is getting cornered and pecked by one of the feathered ones. Had her against the front of the shed this morning. They settled down when I went in, and I put out scratch mix in the hay and bits of bread to occupy them more. But after a coffee I found the ex feathered ex battie cornered in a nest box and being pecked. Poor thing, done nothing wrong, but she had to go into a transport cage or she'd prob not survive too long. I hate locking her up, but chances are if I lock up the bully one of the others may start on her instead.
            But I've put her cage out into the chook forest, with wet towels over it. She's chilling with the feral chooks.
            I'm thinking I'll put her outside in the cage during the day, so that the old chooks can get used to her. At night I'll put her cage in with the other battie's. Hard to be caged again, but being pressed up against the wall and pecked at is no fun either. Hopefully the bully girl will stop it when she gets outside and has other things (and other chooks) to deal with.
            Ali

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Comment

• Oh dear poor thing. But I am sure she won't mind being caged as that is what she is used to. It will give her a chance to grow more feathers and feel good about herself.

Comment

• Boy am I hacked off with this winter weather! Spent an hour getting water to all the birds this morning, almost didn't get daughter to her bus in time. When is Spring going to arrive?

On the positive side my geese have started laying (found a very neat nest in the middle of field with 4 eggs in).

Trying to amalgamate all my banties - long slow job as trying to do it carefully to avoid too much bloodshed. Anyway got two groups together today, cocks fought for a bit then decided to part each with a group of gals, resident duck (drake) was very good in separating fighting hens gently - amazing.

Comment

• We have a foot of snow

chooks won't come out of the pigsty

18 of them in a 2m cubed space.

Not keen with each other too

* have to say though...bless 'em..the 3 Light Sussex did wander out to scratch around in the snow!

...could hardly see them!!!
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• A foot? Eeeeeeek!

Comment

• Victoria Plum came home from the tree down the road and looked quite happy, except she didn't want to sleep in the coop. So, unless I persuaded her into the run with corn, she slept in a tree in our garden and looked very exposed to the elements and any flying predators. One morning she did not appear and was missing the whole day. The next day she was back right as rain. She is still at home and fine with the rest of the little flock during the day, but just doesn't like sleeping with them. Funny hen, it was sooo freezing the other night with wind whipping and there was a little black bundle in the tree.

Comment

• That's the normal roosting place for a Chook, EJ. It's only us that likes them to be in a house overnight.
                        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

• 3 Battie's wandering around from time to time today. Tufty out sometimes. Our old chooks lost interest in the newbie's when son went out to chip weeds............food? No? You're sure No? Totally sure?

Pleased that the sudden interest and aggression seems to be settling. Will be a couple of weeks i think but we'll get there.

Go Victoria Plum - you're a chook in a million
                          Ali

Comment

• baby chicks

here they are: pekin, gold brahma, salmon faverolle, silver laced wyandotte and 2 very special thuringians - thing 1 and thing 2!!
                            well, there are more than that now but there you go.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by petal; 14-03-2013, 08:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                              That's the normal roosting place for a Chook, EJ. It's only us that likes them to be in a house overnight.
                              http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...eply&p=1104863

So I should stop panicking and let her sleep in the tree and not worry when she disappears for the day? Yes, you are probably right. Will try

Comment

• I worried half the night when one of ours was missing at bedtime. Foxes, cold, lonely, depressed
                                But there was the chook right as rain the next morning.
                                I don't think you can help worrying but some chooks just like to do their own thing. And you have one of those chooks
                                Ali

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X