Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had to laugh tonight. Went to lock the chooks up a little earlier than usual because it was raining just a bit, and a tad chilly. Only to find that Frank and the boy rooster (Tic or Tac) were walking towards me up the hill, shoulder to shoulder they were. Why?
    Because Real Kay the cat had been out today and was looking for a quiet, dry space, and thought their place looked good till Mum came out. The boy rooster popped into the coop but poor scared, brave Frank stayed out for a while.
    They are so funny! The girls were up on the high roosts watching and hoping things were ok.
    Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

• My neighbour tells me that a fox was sleeping on their shed roof this evening. I have an electric fence but doesn't stop me worrying.

Comment

• Is there any way to discourage that fox frias? The closer they are, the more tempted they'd be imo. We have loads around here, but so far they don't seem to have noticed that I have chooks. For years there's been 3 farms here with no chooks, or maybe one farm with a few chooks. So I think while the food supply in the bush is good they won't come looking, but come winter, it might be different.
        Ali

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Comment

• I did a little video for my blog, so if you want to have a look here is a link. It's me chooks of course.
          Chooks discovering corn…..on the cob - feral007
          Ali

Comment

• I have some very tentative good news - the rest of my flock (says it very quietly) seem to have recovered/not contracted mycoplasma. And the sneezy cockerel has been dosed with Tylan and seems more lively. Phew.

AND FERTILITY IS RUNNING AT 100%!!!!
            Last edited by jessmorris; 28-02-2013, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• Victoria Plum, the chicken who lived in a tree down the road, is home! OH went down to feed her yesterday afternoon and she was hungry enough to go in the rabbit hutch. She didn't quite manage to escape before he closed the door. We carried the hutch back and she joined her chums in the coop after dark. This morning she is in the garden with her chums, a bit of pecking, but nothing serious. Very happy and relieved!

Comment

• Glad she's home and safe elizajay, but can't help thinking she's a chook on a mission! Hope she stays happy with the rest of them.
                Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by jessmorris View Post
                  I have some very tentative good news - the rest of my flock (says it very quietly) seem to have recovered/not contracted mycoplasma. And the sneezy cockerel has been dosed with Tylan and seems more lively. Phew.

AND FERTILITY IS RUNNING AT 100%!!!!
                  nice one! just tested ours and its 44/47 fertile

Comment

• Great news about Victoria Plum!
                    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

• Elizajay- well done for persevering - I bet you are pleased.!
                      bad day for us- the brahma boy got through the gate (someone left it open...) and duffed in our soppy buff orpington boy- i don't know what he has done but he has the odd scratch and swelling and swollen on one side of his face, bless him. he is in shock, I think -his body feels twisted (the brahma is twice his size) so have isolated in barn, mashed egg and corn, poultry tonic in water.. This has made me decide to create giant maran pens (triangular ) for them- its too much of a risk letting them have so much space.

Comment

• Elizajay, really happy for you that she is home at last

Petal, sorry to hear about your Orp boy, hope he is feeling a bit better in the morning

Comment

• Good news Eliza, I bet you are very relieved.

Sorry to hear about your fighting cocks Petal. I think I am about to receive a cock from someone who is having problems with it fighting - don't actually know what it's like yet but I will assess as follows: if it's a useful pure breed might keep it, if it's pretty might keep it, if it's big and ugly will eat it!

One of my cocks is behaving very strangely at the moment, can't decide if he has had a stroke. Neck arched completely backwards so back of head is on his back, gazing at the sky. I think he stays like this all night. Only happens in the house though, I can lift him out and he runs about outside perfectly normally. I am mystified. In a chick I would suspect vitamin deficiency but this is a 4 year old (and up till now) perfectly healthy cock, although I've put him on extra vits just in case. I will give him a week and if no improvement he will probably be despatched. He's only a crossbreed so no stud value but has been such a sweet natured chap.

Oh well, off out to despatch and pluck another turkey ......... still working through the Xmas leftovers!

Comment

• Thanks for all the good wishes. VP slept in a tree again last night, but in our garden. She has obviously got a taste for sleeping out. I think I was right thinking that the reason she stayed away was because she was disorientated and did not know where home was. She seems much more confident back on familiar territory. Very pleased to have her home.

Comment

• Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
                              Good news Eliza, I bet you are very relieved.

Sorry to hear about your fighting cocks Petal. I think I am about to receive a cock from someone who is having problems with it fighting - don't actually know what it's like yet but I will assess as follows: if it's a useful pure breed might keep it, if it's pretty might keep it, if it's big and ugly will eat it!

One of my cocks is behaving very strangely at the moment, can't decide if he has had a stroke. Neck arched completely backwards so back of head is on his back, gazing at the sky. I think he stays like this all night. Only happens in the house though, I can lift him out and he runs about outside perfectly normally. I am mystified. In a chick I would suspect vitamin deficiency but this is a 4 year old (and up till now) perfectly healthy cock, although I've put him on extra vits just in case. I will give him a week and if no improvement he will probably be despatched. He's only a crossbreed so no stud value but has been such a sweet natured chap.

Oh well, off out to despatch and pluck another turkey ......... still working through the Xmas leftovers!
                              Hi RH,
                              I'm sure your boy doesn't have this but the stance is exactly what my boy did when he had E coli on the brain. He was like it all the time though not just at night.....Good luck?
                              C
                              PS did you see my request for an electric hen recommendation?

Comment

• RH

There is a neurological prob in chooks called 'stare gazing' - due to a vitamin deficiency.
                                Might be worth looking into it???
                                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X