Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hadn't thought about it that way, G4. We've hatched lots of cocks too, and the veg bed looks pathetic. The only thing growing with any gusto are the potatoes.

Comment

• Hadn't thought about it that way G4. JM we have hatched lots of cocks too, you're not the only one. And our veg bed looks pathetic.

Comment

• There ya go - Roast Chook and Roast Spuds - a match made in heaven!
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

• I got a 115 gram egg today,you can use to make the yorkies
          He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

• ha ha! I do not mind at all when they turn into cockerels- I rub my hands together and start planning the meals. ! Our veg plot is growing very well this year, best peas and beans ever! the radishes are a failure- much to the chickens delight!

Comment

• My carrots are OK, and my loganberries and apples. Everything else looks v weedy, and don't even ask about the tomatoes! BTW, its no use keeping a boy with a twisted beak is it? It'll just get worse as he ages won't it??

Comment

• Our boy with a twisty beak got progressively worsed Jess.

We hand fed him twice a day until he was over 20 weeks and ready to cull. Have to admit it was heartbreaking having spent 30 mins twice a day getting to know him on a one-one basis.

...( yummy as he was !!! )
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• Right I am fed up with this weather, and even more fed up with my persistently escaping bantams. If they don't fly out (even with clipped wing) they try and charge through my legs as I enter their pen. Now if they were in a small run with little greenery or interest I would understand, but they have a large grassy enclosure containing two mature beech trees and all manner of stuff in there to play in. They also get let out to roam the fields from about 3 pm each day so what is their problem? I spend ages each day playing hunt the egg in the long grass, most days not very successfully. A short while ago went down to collect eggs, there was a grand total of one in the nestbox. There are 17 hens in this enclosure! A hen darted past my legs as I opened the gate, then as I was walking back to the house I saw another hen emerge from the undergrowth higher up the field. Grrrr. All my large fowl without exception behave themselves, lay in the nestboxes and generally do what they are told.

Comment

• I got an eblag bargain today 6 off 2metre x 3metre Heras fence panels with clips for £75,should be a super deluxe chook run in the garden shortly
                    He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

• Pssst! Wanna see some Orloffs?

Comment

• Four young Orloffs
                        Attached Files

Comment

• And here is Harley (quin) with his twisty beak...
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Hmm, I think they may have outgrown their rings...

Comment

• Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
                              Right I am fed up with ... my persistently escaping bantams ... I spend ages each day playing hunt the egg in the long grass, most days not very successfully ... I saw another hen emerge from the undergrowth higher up the field. Grrrr.
                              LOL A Chook-keeping friend of mine was getting low on eggs, then she noticed a Hen creeping out of a flower-filled border by the house. On investigation she discovered over a dozen eggs! She removed most, and left a couple, and the following day she decided to wait and collect the eggs as soon as she could. Unfortunately, her Dog had the same idea, and he scoffed the lot. His wind problem, that evening, was sooooo disgustingly bad, she has now taken to keeping her 'Girls' shut in until lunch time, so she gets the eggs!

Comment

• Originally posted by jessmorris View Post
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]30669[/ATTACH]

Four young Orloffs
                                They're lovely!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X