Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sounds like a Chook Zoo you have there, Petal!

I have a broody at the moment. She's the only survivor of last year's hatch, since my Fox problem. I turf her out of the nest-boxes several times a day. She used to yell her lungs out and flap about like a nutter, then go back in when my back was turned. Now she just moans at me, and toddles off to eat, so I think she's getting fed up with the idea.
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

• stopping then from going broody is such a nightmare- I have a silver laced wyandotte bantam that has just gone very broody- she savaged my hand!

Comment

• Blimey, its a long time since anyone posted on this thread! Well, just to share, I'm pleased to have FINALLY become a member of my local poultry club! Its nearly as difficult as joining the Masons, but without the funny handshakes and aprons. Next show in a months time, so I'm hoping my girls will grow their primaries back in time for the show bench.....
        Bye for now, its only 20.20 and dark already, boo double boo.
        JM

Comment

• Originally posted by jessmorris View Post
          Bye for now, its only 20.20 and dark already, boo double boo.
          JM
          But it's so much better being able to shut the birds up at a decent hour. Back in June I was ready to go to bed before they were and was having to hang around propping my eyelids open waiting for them to go in. Now I can get them shut up before the kids go to bed, although I have some awkward cocks at the moment who don't want to go to bed as they are all squabbling with each other (they are ready for despatch when I get a moment) and end up roosting on the paddock fence. I have to cart each and every one over to their house each and every night - grrrrr.

Comment

• LOL @ RH - all my lot are in together, and I have an auto door - it is soooo much easier. I know it isn't for everyone, but it suits me. I do have to go out and remove one or two from the nest-boxes, as they like to sleep in there, but if we're out, any that don't go in, sleep outside. They change their minds after a few cold nights.

Comment

• We used to use auto pops, and agree they are great, but we have too many birds now. Rather than run large flocks I run a number of smaller breeding groups, usually one cock and 5 or 6 hens. They all have separate houses and enclosures dotted around the place. It means a bit of a walk morning and night to do them all, but it keeps me fit (well, sort of). 99% of the time I really enjoy the routine, and organise myself into topping up feeders one day, mucking out another and so on - a little bit each day is easier to achieve than trying to do it all on one day. The only time I really curse is in pouring rain, or when everywhere is frozen up (aren't we all looking forward to another cold winter - not).

Comment

• Ooo, you are lucky to have so much room RH! I only have a few birds, and like G4 I use autopops. I do wish I had invested in a timer though - I would let them out far later in the summer, rather than the 4-5am they choose to start ratching about!

Comment

• You can adjust the light sensor JM, so they don't come out so early! I like mine out earlier - I get more eggs.

Comment

• Oo, how do I do that G4?
                    I must say, altho' their instructions are v hard to follow, the AXT folk are very good about replacing things that fail on thier auto openers..
                    JM

Comment

• I have a VSB, and you can just turn the little adjuster thinggy. Not sure about the details, as I've never needed to adjust mine, and I no longer have the paperwork...

Comment

• Ooooh, look what I just found - thanks g**gle!

http://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/ca...doorkeeper.pdf

Comment

• I will have a look and have a fiddle with it....off work with a terrible non stop dry cough at the mo...boo.

Comment

• I'm thrilled to bits! My lovely Cream Legbar has laid her very first egg! Its onlt tiny - smae size as Silkie eggs but a beautiful blue colour! I've been trying to get a blue egg for 3 years now and had one disaster after another!
                            Thank you Jeni Legbar!!!!

Comment

• Brill! Well done that hen.

Comment

• Fab day out! Our first poultry show- at herts.My little girl's white call duck(donald) won first prize and her black pekin pol bantam(Marge) got a second!! she was so excited! She also so deserved it- she looks after them so well and handles them daily. Lovely, friendly people and very satisfying. Onwards and upwards!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X