This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Suechooks View Post
    A nice strong man would be even better Scarlet! (half price from Lidl!!!!)
    I could do with one of those too!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      Were you woken up this morning with a cock-a-doodle-do?
      We have been hearing Nando crow for a few weeks, however, yesterday one of the 'not quite sure's' heralded me with a full-blown (rather loud) call in the mid-afternoon when I could see that it wasn't Nando (who has a nice quiet voice)

Can I ask, since it looks like at least one is going to go in the freezer, do I have to change what they are fed? Chooks usually have layers pellets and bits and bobs as well as free-ranging for a couple hours each day. Should any that are to be eaten be taken off the layers pellets?
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

• Yep. growers pellets and i make potatoe peeling and porridge oat mash. I tell them to eat up and have a good feel of their drumsticks at the same time....

Comment

• that means I need to find a new space for them
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

• the roast dinner will make it worth the extra effort.....

Comment

• Originally posted by petal View Post
              the roast dinner will make it worth the extra effort.....
              they are orpington bantams - not sure if there will be enough for a roast
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

• yes spring is deffo on its way here too in cloudy N Lancs - forsythia and clematis buds are popping, snowdrops out and daffs emerging from the mud....I may even be getting the first hatching eggs of the year next weekend! How eggciting! So tomoz will be spent putting a new roof on the broody hutch and a pophole for mama until the eggs hatch.

Is anyone going to the Carlisle auction on the 25th Feb by the way?

cheers for now,
                JM

Comment

• I've been repairing the winters ravages to my pens, and found out where the SS houdinis have been escaping from. Little so'n'sos have dug (yes) an escape tunnel under the netting...of course its the bit that's right under the holly bush, anyone got any kevlar body armour I can borrow

My growers love porridge (well they all do actually) and pasta too Shirl.

And today I found Seager's nest. I knew she was laying but couldn't find eggs..have been hunting high and low. Al moved a pile of planks tonight and lo and behold, two dozen eggs lol . We've made the little space properly rainproof, added shavings and cleared all bar two eggs in the hope that she will carry on using it. No bets accepted.

Can't get to Carlisle Feb auction due to work Jess, but have already booked 9th April off, will you get to that one? My little barred wyandottes are just starting to lay by the way
                  Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

• I learned this morning, that Marriage's no longer make Layers' Pellets with added Flubenvet. The well-known Poultry wormer is now only available on prescription. So, those of us that chose the easy option, now have to go back to calculating and measuring out the darn powder.

I can't help thinking this will lead to over- and under-dosing, in many cases, and maybe even put some people off worming their flock all together.

Progress, they call it...
                    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

• you don't need a prescription, hyperdrug etc online sells it very reasonably. I do wish there was a water soluble flubenvet - I find it easier to dose medication in water.

Comment

• Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                        I learned this morning, that Marriage's no longer make Layers' Pellets with added Flubenvet. The well-known Poultry wormer is now only available on prescription. So, those of us that chose the easy option, now have to go back to calculating and measuring out the darn powder.

I can't help thinking this will lead to over- and under-dosing, in many cases, and maybe even put some people off worming their flock all together.

Progress, they call it...
                        I bought a bag only this week. I've just started using it. My supplier had several bags there. Can't believe Flubenvet is going back on prescription when all the feed suppliers have so recently "trained" staff to sell it over the counter. Wormers in general (horse, dog, cat etc) have been available off precsription for some years now so it would be a massive retrograde step. Or is it because the veterinary profession are losing money?
                        Where did you hear this G4? Time for a concerted campaign methinks!

Comment

• I think tylan should be off prescription too(it is in america!), money making racket these vets in the uk. Good job my daughter wants to be a vet!
                          I have just mixed up flubenvet food for all the stock, used vegetable oil to get it to stick to pellets. I wish I had listened in maths - it hurt my head to calculate the right amount!

Comment

• Suechooks, it was my feed supplier that told me. I already have a tub of the stuff, that I got from my vet, but then I discovered the 'in feed' option and went with that for ease of dosing.

My supplier says it is a six month training course for the 'privilege' and, having already paid to train most of their staff to take the horse/cat/dog wormer course, she is reluctant to shell out more money at this point. She is going to monitor requests and see if it is viable. They are very good like that, I have to say.

Comment

• I have just offered my two orpingtons on freecycle. I would fatten them but don't have anyplace to keep them separate. The noise this morning was unreal and I am going to have grumbling neighbours soon!
                              Happy Gardening,
                              Shirley

Comment

• I have to say it's a lot quieter here since we ate two of ours. The other two are much quieter! Perhaps they know....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X