• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cockerel alert on far left.

Comment

• Originally posted by petal View Post
      cockerel alert on far left.
      bu@@er, that means two of them for the freezer! Wonder why they are not crowing yet?
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

• Originally posted by petal View Post
        cockerel alert on far left.
        Definitely!

Nice piccies, Shirl - nice Chooks, too!
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

• Thanks G4, pity their run is so bare at the moment. They get out to free-range for a few hours every day though so I don't feel too guilty. Blummin typical that i get 3 free chooks and they are all boys

They are safe till they start to crow - Nando will get to stay as he is really quiet even at close quarters.
          Last edited by shirlthegirl43; 29-01-2011, 05:44 PM.
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

• Morning

I have started to get 5 out of 8 eggs a day again.... much earlier than the previous years

I have a small problem.... I have a neighbours cat tomenting the chooks when they free range, it chese them around, any tips..... I thorw an onion at it earlies but my aim is not the best

Also....... is there any reaon why I cant use shredded newspaper for bedding in the nesting boxes and coops...

oh... sorry...... one more thing, how do you stop them pooing all over the eggs.... or in the only nesting box they lay in?
            Last edited by Munch; 31-01-2011, 10:50 AM.
            Little ol' me

Has just bagged a Lottie!
            Oh and the chickens are taking over my garden!
            FIL and MIL - http://vegblogs.co.uk/chubbly/

Comment

• The Chooks should see the Cat off - mine would! My only solutions against dirty eggs are, roll-away nest-box inserts (which work quite well, but the Girls don't like them), or loads and loads of bedding, both in the nest-boxes, and outside them, so they clean their feet on the way in!

I'm getting more eggs this week, and a couple of them are doing the "I've laid an EEEEEGGGGGGG!" song again - noisy wotsits!

Comment

• Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                The Chooks should see the Cat off - mine would! My only solutions against dirty eggs are, roll-away nest-box inserts (which work quite well, but the Girls don't like them), or loads and loads of bedding, both in the nest-boxes, and outside them, so they clean their feet on the way in!

I'm getting more eggs this week, and a couple of them are doing the "I've laid an EEEEEGGGGGGG!" song again - noisy wotsits!
                Thanks G4.

You should here the 'leader or the pack' when the cat is about..... I feel I should apologise the neighbours!
                Little ol' me

Comment

• We took our new kitty into the garden for the first time yesterday...she was most definitely over interested in the chooks

We need to get her spayed before she's let loose ( soon -as she's 8 months old) but I have to say that I'm a bit anxious about her with them.
                  Our chooks didn't bat an eyelid with our previous cat- but this one is a hunter, so I've got my fingers crossed they'll sort her out

One good thing is that she freaks out when Albert peacock is around!
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

• All I can say is that TRex thought he had big birdies on the menu when we got the chooks - they have taught him otherwise and now if they are free-ranging he is usually hiding indoors.
                    Happy Gardening,
                    Shirley

Comment

• Anyone on shredded newspaper?

I think they will see it off and probably have done before it just seem to be relentless lately!
                      Last edited by Munch; 31-01-2011, 11:24 AM.
                      Little ol' me

Comment

• B****r
                        Al absentmindedly put a cracked egg back in the silkies nest box, now the little horror is eating her eggs. Oh well guess I'll have to start making mustard eggs.
                        Other than that everyone seems to be doing well.
                        Just wish I could find somewhere nearer to home to keep them as they are still at the m-i-l's.
                        Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

• I am a very happy mummy today - I went to collect the eggs and guess what!!!?

I have a BLUE/GREEN egg layer!!!!!! Two of the eggs I bought in were that colour, so looks like one of my girlies has carried on the gene. One of the others lays pure white eggs, so I have a good variation now.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Woo hoo! The different colours all together look great don't they?

Comment

• I have 'accidentally' secured a Vorwerk cockerel, arriving later in February... just need the girls to go with him now

Comment

• Originally posted by OverWyreGrower View Post
                                I have 'accidentally' secured a Vorwerk cockerel, arriving later in February... just need the girls to go with him now
                                They are very smart birds.

Er, what do you mean by "accidentally"?
                                Last edited by RichmondHens; 01-02-2011, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X