No announcement yet.

Help - v poorly 7 week old chick

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like Ascites. I've had a couple of my ex-batts put to sleep because of it. Vet says due to their former life in the cages they are prone to tumours and ascites. Didn't realise it could also affect youngsters though.
    Last edited by frias; 04-06-2010, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by frias View Post
      Sounds like Ascites. I've had a couple of my ex-batts put to sleep because of it. Vet says due to their former life in the cages they are prone to tumours and ascites. Didn't realise it could also affect youngsters though.
      Ascites is frequently a symptom of other disease rather than a condition on its own. Connected with heart disease and tumours mostly I think. (Been retired 6 years now so the memory is failing a bit! ) My OH had it following his heart surgery last year!

Comment

Oh dear jess. But at least you know it wasn't your fault. As they were under a hen it seems unlikely that she would have been too cold during the early days. It happens in commercial hatcheries as the chicks are kept in large numbers under brooders ar lamps and some can get constantly shoved to the outside where they are not really warm enough. Most likely is that the breeder you got eggs from has bred from a pair which are brother and sister. Sometimes you get young that are healthy, sometimes they have genetic problems. I would let him/her know, but if they have had some healthy young themselves they may very well ignore you.
        Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

Just a quickie - what does OH mean?

Comment

and I've sent you (itshilly) a PM about the cockerel......................
            Last edited by jessmorris; 05-06-2010, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jessmorris View Post
              Just a quickie - what does OH mean?
              OH = Other Half! Its internet shorthand

Comment

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhha!

Comment

I have a 7 week old poorly chick

HI everyone,
                  I'm sorry for the lose to your chick,
                  I have a chick in the same position atm. I took her to the vets last night and she has a bird form of numonia. She has been given antibiotics to take twice a day. I have to keep her in on a night but have to put her out in the day so that the other chickens don't reject her. She has 5 other chicks and a mother hen. I also have 2 female legbars and 1 white legbar rooster. The mother hen is a gold top. The only reason I have the chicks is because my gold top got broody and I got her some chick eggs from a farmer who is really good.
                  I live in York and go to the vets in Bishopmonkton vets. They are very good and said if she isn't better in 5 days then bring her back for x-rays and possible an operation. I don't know how people feel about it but I feel that it would be too much strain on her heart so I couldn't put her through it.
                  She is called Thumper as she thumps her feet. She is still not doing to we'll but she seems to have found a burst of life but then still stands on her own as if she can't do much. She was running around more this morning than yesterday.
                  Does anyone have anymore advice for me? I'm trying my best but I don't know what else to do?
                  She sleeps in a dog cage on a night with a hot water bottle and hay and tea towels with water, egg pellets and mealworms. I put blanket over it so she sleeps and leave her near the radiator in a quiet room. I'm also feeding her water every two hours.
                  Does anyone have anymore advise that would help me please?

Comment

Hello Katherine & welcome to the Vine. This thread is over 6 years old so unlikely that any of the posters will come back to answer your query. There are however other members who keep chooks & they may be able to help.
                    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                    -----------------------------------------------------------
                    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X