Egg swap

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by its hilly View Post
    ...the best hatch rate (50%) is from the special delivery eggs (cos they are hand handled or so I was told,instead of thrown on the conveyor system which dont half bang hem around) but not many sellers offer it, probably because of the cost, but if they offer ordinary post as well then why dont they? At least then the buyer gets the choice.
    You can contact the seller to request SD if they haven't offered it and ask for a revised invoice to cover the additional p&p.
    If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Originally posted by its hilly View Post
      True, and I agree, if I could choose between the seller who consistantly gets low fertility reported and the one who gets 4/6 regularly...well go guess..

Must say though, all my eggs have arrived in polyboxes wrapped in tissue. My bug is that out of the sellers whose eggs have hatched, the best hatch rate (50%) is from the special delivery eggs (cos they are hand handled or so I was told,instead of thrown on the conveyor system which dont half bang hem around) but not many sellers offer it, probably because of the cost, but if they offer ordinary post as well then why dont they? At least then the buyer gets the choice.
      PS I still got 50% hatch off the eggs that came from Ireland! So distance doesnt seem the main factor
      I don't know if its true but I was told special delivery may go by air some of the way up here, but then I would have thought that would be true from Ireland anyway? I have had hatches of 0% and hatches of 100% and the only constant I have found (barring my polybox theory) is the more effort and worry I put in the lower the hatch!

I had some eggs a while back that were wraped in tissue in standard eggbox, wrapped in bubble wrap, set in the middle of a box packed with hay/straw, so much care had gone into it I was almost brought to tears! (5/6 fertile 3 hatched...)

Comment

My thought is that the seller who takes an inordinate amount of care with packing the eggs will have taken an equal amount of care of the eggs prior to despatch and vice versa.
        If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Originally posted by Eco-Chic View Post
          My thought is that the seller who takes an inordinate amount of care with packing the eggs will have taken an equal amount of care of the eggs prior to despatch and vice versa.
          My thinking exactly.... and imagine how happy the hens must be!

Comment

Originally posted by RedThorn View Post
            Polly PM me and I'll help you through posting pics if you still need help
            Bless you! Will do.

Comment

Bramble-Poultry could hold master-classes in egg packing!!

Comment

I don't trust eggs to be sent safely by post. I know a huge amount of people get eggs this way, but I would rather go and fetch them direct from the seller. This gives me a) the knowledge that the eggs will be transported carefully back to base, and b) the opportunity to see the parent birds so I get an idea of what the eggs will turn out like. If the parent birds are sub-standard then I can walk away if I want to.

Comment

Although we've still only hatched twice,I agree with Richmond.
                  Maybe I'm lucky but I've actually been surprised at how many different breeders are on my doorstep...or fairly close by....and continually hearing of others.By word of mouth we think we've found our Aracauna eggs for next year!
                  There's nearly always adds up in the Country wide store for hatching eggs or chicks and most of the advertisers know of other breeders that might not have advertised.
                  the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

LOL - unfortunately there are no breeders on my doorstep and only a few within an hour and a half drive.... theres not exactly a lot of anything on my doorstep though

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                      What do you mean 'only the initial set-up'? Anyone is free to set up whatever group they want on facebook....why would it have anything to do with the Vine?
                      The idea in my mind was that the members of such a swapping group would be Grapes, who had 'got to know' each other through the Vine, that is really the only connection under consideration, but since I thought of an 'invites only' facebook group, sorting out potential invitees might happen on the Vine...
                      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
                        The idea in my mind was that the members of such a swapping group would be Grapes, who had 'got to know' each other through the Vine, that is really the only connection under consideration, but since I thought of an 'invites only' facebook group, sorting out potential invitees might happen on the Vine...
                        As long as if there are any problems, we aren't going to be asked to sort it; there is already a Grapevine Facebook group - the link could be posted on that page for applications to join the group.

Is it set up now then?

Comment

It is but I just wanted to check how serious people are before I activate it. I am not saying a flurry of activity is going to happen straight away. If it becomes too much I may ask for help. Or if anyone wants to volunteer now that would be good.

Comment

Walldanzig, I would be interested, have you set it up now as a link or as a facebook page?

Comment

facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by walldanzig View Post
                                facebook page
                                have you got the link or name on facebook please

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X