No announcement yet.

Egg swap

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like the idea in principle, but think that you will have a problem managing it. Informal swaps between friends, is one thing but not sure that something which involves money changing hands can be kept amicable indefinately. Also I am not sure what Faceaches take will be on it.
    Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

I agree Redthorn the more I think about it the more nervous it makes me

Comment

Wall, I like the idea, although my 3 ebay weren'ts are 3 of my favourites. But as you say still hopeless when you want something specific and they turn out not to be.
        Why cant we have a couple of rules, like must show good photo of parent birds, guarentee that they have been kept as a single breed for more then 3 weeks(or however long it takes to alow mixed eggs to clear the hens system) be sent in proper poly boxes, must offer choice of ordinary, next day and or special delivery (doesnt go through the crash drop sort system so hatch rates improve)
        simple 'did it arrive' and 'was it the breed you ordered that hatched' questionare
        I agree with posted stuff you cant allow comments on fertility and hatch rates, bad hatch could be down to incis and broodies and bad handling too

Other option for those on ebay, contact through facebook, then set up sale through 'buy it now' on ebay. Solves payment issues and allows feedback.
        What you think
        Anyone who says nothing is impossible has never tried slamming a revolving door

Comment

Yes, all sounds like too much hassle and a nightmare for moderators. I have had some success now from eggs off ebay - I make a note of people whose eggs do not candle fertile (or hatch a wierd breed)and never buy off them again.

Comment

How about this I dont know what the mods think of this. We list the breeds we have and that we have eggs from them and PM each other if we where looking to buy some eggs or maybe place a post looking for x breed of eggs

Comment

Dan.

You have just said that you feel apprehensive and nervous about setting up a Facebook group to do it; so why would we as mods feel any different about Grapes doing the same on here?

Comment

Am I being asked to leave it

Comment

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ale_34020.html

I thought we'd been here a while back.

ETA: as someone who has paid out of my own pocket for items that did not arrive at Grape's houses after being sent by another Grape; I'm dead against too much swapping; seeds only please.
                  Last edited by zazen999; 30-09-2009, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Wasn't a no back then so I thought given a bit of time I would broach the subject again. I dont want to cause any hassle over this I just wanted to ask if this was a possiblity. I'm taking it that it's a no and that's fair enough I just thought a lot of like minded people could help each other out. You quite rightly pointed out the pitfalls and I can see these and as I stated it is to much for me with no experiance of running/moderating a forum to deal with something of this scale. Consider me told =0)

Comment

Be assured; we have the same concerns as you if you were setting it up on Facebook.

If you really want to do it; set up an informal group on there and see how it goes. I suspect the same will happens as happens with all these sorts of things; a few take the P and it gets spoilt for the majority. I'd never run anything before I dunked my toe in the water and then ran it......

It's the same with the periodic requests for a general swapping forum.....the seeds swap really is enough to be going on with.
                      Last edited by zazen999; 30-09-2009, 10:27 PM.

Comment

I understand what your saying I think sometimes what seems like a nice simple idea will work if everyone sticks to the rules. That would be in a perfect world which unfortunatley we don't have. I am going to leave it as you say if the seed swap can be messy I can't imagine how bad swapping eggs can get.
                        Last edited by walldanzig; 01-10-2009, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Walldanzig: eBay works. If you aren't happy with a purchase, you leave negative feedback. Then the seller bucks up their ideas, or nobody else buys from them.

We've all been caught out ... I have three times this month, with items "not as described". But I let the seller know I'm not happy, and if they won't refund (most won't) then I leave honest feedback, to warn other buyers.
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by walldanzig View Post
                            what seems like a nice simple idea will work if everyone sticks to the rules.
                            They don't though, it's human nature: (some) people are lazy, or forgetful, or dishonest. Sadly.

Even something as simple as "send me an SAE, and I will send you seeds" goes wrong!
                            Last edited by Two_Sheds; 01-10-2009, 07:00 AM.
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I really love this idea and if all went to plan, it would be great. Maybe if people listed breeds they'd like to exchange in thier signatures and only dealt with regulars of the board in private things would go well but as TS said

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                              Even something as simple as "send me an SAE, and I will send you seeds" goes wrong!
                              I'm learning this at the mo as the seed swap I did coincided with this ongoing postal strike. Now I'm hoping all has gone to plan. I know most have recieved what they should have and those that haven't have pm'd me to see if I've sent/recieved seeds or envelopes. The cost to individuals of those seeds/envelopes lost in the post is small but very disappointing for all parties involved and this is just a few seeds...
                              Grapevine Facebook Group

My Blog

Comment

I still feel awful about the first seed swap when the person I passed it to didn't pass it on. I feel somehow responsible.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X