My First Egg

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Egg

Sorry if this is sad, but I felt the need to share it..

I got my first egg from my Bantam's today! Haven't cracked it open yet, think I'll save it for breakfast tomorrow morning...
    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Shortie that's not sad - that's lovely which I could keep chickens.
    [

Comment

Originally posted by Shortie
      Sorry if this is sad, but I felt the need to share it..

I got my first egg from my Bantam's today! Haven't cracked it open yet, think I'll save it for breakfast tomorrow morning...
      Congratulations shortie, It will Deffinately tase better than the pale watery things the shops sell.
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

First Egg

Hi Shortie
        Congratulations - you have unravelled one of the greatest mysteries of all time - which came first - the chicken or the egg ? Enjoy your breakfast !
        Rat
        Rat

British by birth
        Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
        http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Fantastic

There is nothing like your first egg. You're not sad, enjoy, fry it, poach it, boil it, scramble it, anyway it will taste a damn lot better than shop bought.

Andrewo
          Best wishes
          Andrewo
          Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

Just don't drop it!!!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Cheers guys...

Nicos - I did have visions of it being splatted over my floor when my som (nearly 3) held it...

What more can I ask for eh? Good compsting material for my garden, 5 cute characters in my garden who scare my 2 cats and then the prospect of food... Why did I not do it before...?

BTW, I love the Grapevine. It's good to find like minded people to chat/listen to...
              Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

I Jinxed Myself

Pants. I spoke too soon yesterday.

It started with me, for a while now, wondering about the value of keeping my chickens as I'd had no eggs and they were ruining my garden as they were totally free range (not to mention flying into next door's garden).

So recently I'd seen a posting on here about just giving them a really large run which I'd decided I was going to do down the end of the garden... I could keep my chickens for eggs, compost and sheer fun of their characters and got me thinking more about how they can be kept better in my garden.

Yesterday I had my first egg abd woke up to the exciting prospect of being able to share two eggs between me, hubby and son and not just one.

Well, htis morning my hubby came down to check the egg situation and it looks like a fox has had the lot

I feel pretty guilty now as I forgot to shut the dorr to their run last night.. poor girls
                Shortie

Comment

Okay, a bit rash of me maybe there.... sitting by the back door on the computer when one of chickens reappears from no-where.... Obviously I don't provide bad accomodation if it wanted to come back. Don't hold out much hope for the others though as there are an awful lot of feathers floating around my garden.....

Feeling sorry for the remaining one as it looks pretty confused to where it's buddies are, think I might have to try and locate an emergency bird from somewhere...
                  Shortie

Comment

That's awful Shortie - after all your excitement yesterday which we were all so pleased to share.
                    Jennie
                    ~
                    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Sorry to hear

So sorry to hear that you've lost the lot, oh well - look at it as new opportunity to get more chickens and a spring on the gate so it shuts after you. So sorry to hear this - it's always awful to lose stock, be it animal or vegetable.

I know you put in alot of hardwork and you really didn't deserve that.

Andrewo
                      Best wishes
                      Andrewo
                      Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

I hope this wont put you off getting more chickens
                        My friend gives her chickens free run of the garden during the day but makes sure they are tucked up at night. I was very sad to hear that you have lost all but one of your chickens. How is your little boy taking it?
                        Jax

Comment

I'm tha same as you're friend Jaxom that they have free run of my whole garden during that day, just made the fatal mistake last night...

Just been out today and bought two more for company... let's see if my remaining one survives the shock

My little boy was totally unphased.... I was quite surprised. We've always tried to tell him what the chickens were there for, so that probably helped... I want my son to grow up knowing how to grow fruit and veg's and that the meat he eats was once alive... I want him to make educated choices about his food when he's older.... hope that doesn't sound stuffy and pretentious...
                          Shortie

Comment

Have been looking forward to hearing about your breakfast all day!!! Can't believe your news...very sad. Nature eh? I suppose the fox could have come during the daylight hours instead. We bred bunnies for many years and the foxes could smell them out.Used to be bold and appear last thing in the evenings before we were thinking about putting them back indoors (from an outside run). Never lost one but we have foxes roaming around our gardens at night on a regular basis. Hope you are going to replace them and not give up hope.
                            PS dare I ask....did you eat the egg???
                            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Oh Shortie that is rotten luck. Would the new chickens be safer during the day if you made them a protected run? You could move the run to different parts of the garden and then if there is a cheeky day time fox they will be safe.
                              [

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X