No announcement yet.

Help! Found 4 ducklings in drive

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is there any sign of a dstressed mother? perhaps she could have been killed my a car or something.

I would search the local area to see if the mum is about, you will tell the one that is shrieking like a mad woman....seen this where they get seperated, but usually mum find her way back to them...

Perhaps put them outside in the box and see if Mum appears

Comment

P.S. You don't need a proper 'pond' for ducks!! We use children's paddling pools/sandpits - the ones shaped like a turtle. Easy to fill and empty!

Comment

Thanks TS is helpful, they don't half make a racket. We are just gonna take it as it comes, we've hunted high and low for mama and she deffo isn't around
        Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

It isn't at all rare for a Mallard to have LOTS of ducklings and she may simply not notice that she is 4 short if she is inexperienced (I have, quite some time ago now, seen a duck traipsing a line of 12 across a large public garden, one kept getting left behind and she didn't even slow down). The ones around here often appear with 8 tiny ones, but only the most experienced ever have more than 2 or 3 grow up. Ducks are not the cleverest of mums.....
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

They are notoriously bad mothers as Hilary says. They simply don't have enough fingers to count on!
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Oh hayley, they are just gorgeous. I do hope they will be OK without their mama.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

if you keep them will you have to teach them to swim, or does it come naturally?
                How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbeam View Post
                  if you keep them will you have to teach them to swim, or does it come naturally?
                  *pictures Hayley with arm bands at the ready trotting down to local swimming baths *

ok, I'll get me coat
                  My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Well I've got 4 Googles I guess you should have 4 Quackers!

What you need is an old Land Rover roof, take the sides off, turn it upside-down and fill it with watter! My Geese love theirs, and it's easy to tip out and refill when it gets skanky.

Love the names too lol!
                    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

OH peepers! How sweet! We once had 6 goslings dumped on our property, probably because whoever it was saw that we already had three pet geese. They were obviously somebodies rejects, which was a pity that they'd be so cold hearted.
                      Ducks are pretty rubbish mums though, but ducklings are pretty tough little guys and they'll grow really fast to become top-class slug destroyers!
                      The Impulsive Gardener

www.theimpulsivegardener.com

Chelsea Uribe Garden Design www.chelseauribe.com

Comment

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DUCKYS
                        can you mix ducks with chickens by any chance???
                        Im going to save up for a blow up paddleing pool
                        If at first you don't succeed ask dad to help you

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                          I do hope they will be OK without their mama.
                          I've put a teddy duck called ducky and they are all snugleing up to it
                          If at first you don't succeed ask dad to help you

Comment

Originally posted by Chocolate Brownie View Post
                            We had two ducks when I was young - they were hatched by our darling black banties. Ducks and chooks mix quite happily (in my experience anyhoo).

give them a very gentle hug from me please.
                            Happy Gardening,
                            Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by Chocolate Brownie View Post
                              They are gorgeous. I think ducks live happily with chickens but are messier. My neighbour keeps Mallards and feeds them on dog biscuits (soaked in water) They will fly off with any wild ones if they don't have their wings clipped though.

Comment

Forgot to say the chickens will probably peck a hole in blow up pool!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X