My Girls are Here!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by julesapple View Post
    I had faith in you, I knew you'd be strong!

Or maybe there weren't any other eggs that you fancied?

Jules
    Well, I'm supposed to only be getting something to lay blue eggs (I sell a lot and am building up to doing mixed colour boxes) but you know how tempting it is. I've kept Welsummers (for dark brown eggs) for quite a few years and have a few cross breeds plus bantams for white/nearly white eggs, although could be tempted to go for a pure white egg layer. Trouble is, we are nearing registration numbers for Defra (50) so have to curb my impulses slightly!!!!!

Comment

I fancied a Welsummer, but they were four weeks younger than my girls and I didn't fancy going back to get her and then introducing the new hen to my girls...I don't have enough experience. I remember when nearly all shop-bought eggs were white.

I never thought I would get bitten by the chicken bug quite so badly. Just as well my urges are confined by the space we have on offer. I need to move

I cannot entice the girlies out of their coop-run today, not even with a few chunks of strawberry. I don't know if it's too warm or last night cat episode. If any one or anything goes near them they run for cover. Might it be the laundry hanging out to dry on the line? If so they'll need to get used to that.

Jules
      Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

I sold 2 of my Welsummer girls last night. I think the others are missing them, they're very quiet today
        My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Hey Richmond we are on the same mission here, I am steering clear of Defra if I can though..........
          Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Aaahhh....

Originally posted by MaureenHall View Post
            I sold 2 of my Welsummer girls last night. I think the others are missing them, they're very quiet today
            ......you must be missing them too Aunty Mo? It must be as bad as when your kids leave home!

Finally enticed the girls out...but any sign of sudden movement and they are back in the house pdq.

Jules
            Jules

Comment

Aww, fantastic Jules... I'm dead jealous now. I would love to have some chickens! mind you..if I got off my butt and took my awful shed down, I could! lol

How many eggs do you think you'll be getting when they're in full flow?
              Gareth

Comment

Originally posted by dragonaxe View Post
                Aww, fantastic Jules... I'm dead jealous now. I would love to have some chickens! mind you..if I got off my butt and took my awful shed down, I could! lol

How many eggs do you think you'll be getting when they're in full flow?
                Gareth

Gareth, how about turning your old shed into a chicken coop? Or is it too far gone?

Hopefully when the girls are old enough we'll get four eggs a day. Really looking forward to a fresh egg & cress sandwich with homegrown cress and home baked bread!
                Jules
                Jules

Comment

And no shop egg tastes as good either Jules. Your own chickens' eggs - laid by spoilt and happy chickens - taste absolutely gorgeous. You can taste the happiness!
                  Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                    And no shop egg tastes as good either Jules. Your own chickens' eggs - laid by spoilt and happy chickens - taste absolutely gorgeous. You can taste the happiness!
                    Yes, I remember that very well!!!! STILL no eggs Think the laydees are just happy enjoying their retirement, which is ok by me really

Comment

Oh, I wish I hadn't looked at this post now, as I'm feeling all broody () - I am looking for two new hens, and yours are just so adorable!

Don't have a huge amount of choice where I am, and the place where I got my girls only has Calder Rangers or Black Rocks at the mo, but oh, yours are so lovely....

Enough of the waffle, I might have to peruse poultry suppliers this weekend

Oo, just re-read this, and that first sentence makes it sound as though I'm planning to come and hen-nap yours - which, lovely though they are, isn't my style! It's okay, you can sleep easy!
                      Life is brief and very fragile, do that which makes you happy.

Comment

they're beautiful!!!

{hugs} Aunty Mo... perhaps they'll bless you with some soon once the idea of retirement turns into boredom... perhaps they'll lay just to have something else to do?
                        Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Perhaps It honestly doesn't matter though, it's just lovely seeing them blossom into beautiful girls and enjoying the freedom. Think I might just have to rescue some more - their coop is plenty big enough for another 3 (or 4, or 5 or 6)

Comment

Practical Poultry....

Originally posted by pipscariad View Post
                            Oh, I wish I hadn't looked at this post now, as I'm feeling all broody () - I am looking for two new hens, and yours are just so adorable!

Don't have a huge amount of choice where I am, and the place where I got my girls only has Calder Rangers or Black Rocks at the mo, but oh, yours are so lovely....

Enough of the waffle, I might have to peruse poultry suppliers this weekend

Oo, just re-read this, and that first sentence makes it sound as though I'm planning to come and hen-nap yours - which, lovely though they are, isn't my style! It's okay, you can sleep easy!

Pips, Practical Poultry mag had quite a few welsh breeders listed. I was reading through the breeders list last night. Not that I'm looking for more chooks. No, no, of course I'm not. Honest. I'm really not. I was just...interested.

You might also try www.Preloved.co.uk

We travelled and hour & half to get our four last Monday, and they were fine on the journey home.

Jules
                            Last edited by julesapple; 13-06-2009, 09:20 AM.
                            Jules

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X