No announcement yet.

My Girls are Here!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really like Shirl so the local sport will be chook staring for the next few weeks then
    Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Wow, what pretty birds! Bet you're chuffed to bits wth them.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by MaureenHall View Post
        Absobloominlutely gorgeous!!!!!

By the way, I hope you don't really expect your grass to stay that nice for too long
        Was kind of hoping they wouldn't completely destroy the grass. The pens they were kept in at the bredders looked very good considering the number of birds in each one. The girls have had a few handfuls of mixed corn, a little fresh watercress (went down well) and a strawberry that I found a slug hole in. And a bit of apple that needed using. I put a log in the run with loose bark on it, and put the corn under the bark - kept them happy for a long time!

Originally posted by HayleyB View Post
        I really like Shirl so the local sport will be chook staring for the next few weeks then
        Yup, I've been sat on a log doing gnome impressions, with OH saying 'They're just chickens!' No idea what he means!

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
        Wow, what pretty birds! Bet you're chuffed to bits wth them.
        I am, I'm chuffed to lots. Can't explain why, but I'm very proud of them and so pleased to have them. They're just napping in the last of the sunbeams right now, cuddled together. I emailed the photos to my Mum, and she said my Nan would have laughed if she'd known one was named after her. I expect Nan does know. Loved the photos on your Hen Heaven Blog Aunty Flum!

Jules
        Last edited by julesapple; 09-06-2009, 05:02 PM.
        Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

They are beautiful jules, lovely looking girls and of course they are not just chickens they are YOUR chickens and very special indeed- don't hold your breath about the grass though!
          Gardening forever- housework whenever

Comment

Awww....

......they took themselves off to bed!

It was just starting to get dark, so I went out to put them in the coop and they'd beaten me to it! I closed the pophole and the run door, raked up bits of uneaten greens and left them to it.

I had been imagining having to chase them about, so I'm really pleased that bedtime was peaceful. I'm impressed....hope they keep it up.

Going to bed myself now the girls are safely tucked up.

Jules
            Jules

Comment

...... and so your routine will take shape :-)

I had an old Welsummer named Hilda after my Nana too. Sadly both are now departed.

Comment

You wait the day comes and you're OH says "wow, they're like little egg factories" yeah I been there
                Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

lolololol.....

Originally posted by HayleyB View Post
                  You wait the day comes and you're OH says "wow, they're like little egg factories" yeah I been there
                  When they went to bed last night the girls headed for the nest boxes...OH was getting quite excited then, thinking he'd get fresh poached egg this morning! I've told him it'll be a while yet before we see eggs, especially from Hattie the Cream Legbar.

He's not too excited about his lawn though, but then our lawn isn't the rufty tufty field turf that the girls are used to. We've decided that once they are more used to us, we'll alternate the daily run from front to back lawn. The front garden is walled and surrounded by trees, and there's nothing precious out there for the girls to ruin, so it may as well be put to good use.

The girlies were very confident this morning, down the ramp as soon as I opened the pophole, and out into the garden for a good peck. One of our cats, Boo, who's very big, has tried to 'rush' them but didn't count on the green netting getting her way. She got a slap on the rump, but thankfully the girls weren't bothered.

Jules
                  Last edited by julesapple; 10-06-2009, 08:55 AM.
                  Jules

Comment

Originally posted by julesapple View Post
                    Loved the photos on your Hen Heaven Blog Aunty Flum!

Jules
                    You'll have to start one of your own Jules - great way of recording what they're up to!

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                      You'll have to start one of your own Jules - great way of recording what they're up to!

I might just do that Flum. I've kept a pen & ink daily journal since I was about nine. The first one was one of those secret diaries with a tiny lock to keep your secrets safe, and about four lines to write on for each day!

Are their blog site templates or software that you can download from t'internet?

Jules
                      Jules

Comment

Originally posted by julesapple View Post
                        Are their blog site templates or software that you can download from t'internet?

Jules
                        Try blogspot.com - that's the one I use and it's simple enough for an old lady to cope with!

Comment

Your front walled garden sounds ideal for them - they love it best under trees, it's what nature intended. Chickens are descended from jungle fowl after all.

By the way, I was very good at the breeders and only came back with 6 eggs :-)

Comment

Briiliant!

Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
                            By the way, I was very good at the breeders and only came back with 6 eggs :-)
                            I had faith in you, I knew you'd be strong!

Or maybe there weren't any other eggs that you fancied?

Jules
                            Jules

Comment

Love your new girls Jules...... I had a long short-list of chickens and had Wheaten Maran (beautiful to look at and the thought of deep dark brown eggs!)
                              Buff Sussex (love that golden honey buff colour!)
                              Cream Legbar (eaten Old Cotswold Legbar eggs from s'market - delish!!! Want my own blue/green egg layer!)

on my list too!

Settled for a Light Sussex Cross (White) and a standard red/brown hen - Rhode Island Cross.

We still love a brown egg layer & a blue egg layer though!

Comment

gorgeous girls, hope they're settling in nicely
                                The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X