No announcement yet.

What and where from?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hans Mum, I'm in Beverley, East Yorkshire.

I've looked high and low and can't find anyone local. I've emailed a few of the online breeders who say they can arrange delivery, but no go yet.

I'm still waiting to hear from the council yet before I get any, just wanted to be sure I could get some first.

Thanks all.
    Urban Escape Blog

Comment

Hi pdblake - I'm not far from you. I got mine from Outgate Poultry in Lincolnshire but it's about an hour's drive. He doesn't deliver either. The chap near Catterick - I think it's Glencroft Poultry - will deliver. Have you checked his website. Delivery is £30 though, which will add to your costs obviously, but his chickens were cheaper - you win some, you lose some.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks Flummery, I'll check out Glencroft Poultry tonight
        Urban Escape Blog

Comment

Glencroft are reputable pd, I know someone who's kept chickens for 60 years, he breeds his own pure breeds, but finances his hobby by selling eggs, for which he buys in hybrids, and he's been getting them delivered from Glencroft for quite some time. I know this as I've been nagging him for advice for what seems like months now.
          Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by bluemoon View Post
            Glencroft are reputable pd, I know someone who's kept chickens for 60 years, he breeds his own pure breeds, but finances his hobby by selling eggs, for which he buys in hybrids, and he's been getting them delivered from Glencroft for quite some time. I know this as I've been nagging him for advice for what seems like months now.

Brilliant. I've sent them an email already.

Just waiting on the council to reply to an email I sent them. I doubt they'd have any trouble with it as someone just behind us has hens already. Just covering my back so to speak.
            Urban Escape Blog

Comment

Exciting, isn't it?

Comment

I'm trying not to get too worked up at the moment. Don't want to be completely gutted if the council come up with some red tape nonsense reason for saying no.
                Urban Escape Blog

Comment

Originally posted by pdblake View Post
                  I'm trying not to get too worked up at the moment. Don't want to be completely gutted if the council come up with some red tape nonsense reason for saying no.
                  I've just finished fighting with mine... I managed to keep them tho which is good. But it didn't come without it's scares. I don't think I could give them up if I tried!

My local council are ok about having chooks, just so long as you don't get a cock. It's mainly the issue about them being a nuisance to the neighbours than anything else really. If my neighbours were any closer to me, i'd be living in flats I think. And it took me 2 days to get round them all with my petition for me to keep my girl's. (close knit, and ended up nattering for while too.)

Good luck with your council.

Comment

Glencroft emailed me back and all looks well there. Still waiting on the council though.

As an aside while I'm waiting can I ask about food. I know what to feed them, but not how much. How much layers pellets would I need to give four hens? Bearing in mind the kitchen scraps and greens and bits from the garden.
                    Urban Escape Blog

Comment

I just put out a feeder that holds 3 days worth and keep it filled. They will eat as much as they need. Technically I think it's about 125 - 150 grammes per chicken per day. I also give mine greens and some fruit (not citrus) each day and an evening treat of mixed corn, but again, not too much. Can you jog the council's elbow? Annoying isn't it?

Comment

Councils do like to drag their backsides don't they I just checked my email records and the last time I asked them something, about the length of the allotment waiting list, they took 6 days to get back to me

I make that a 20kg bag should last about 4-5 weeks then. Now, just need to see if the agricultural feed place around the corner actually sells it
                        Last edited by pdblake; 22-04-2009, 01:36 PM.
                        Urban Escape Blog

Comment

According to one of my books a 20kg bag of layers' pellets should last six hens for three weeks, so should last 4 hens about a month.

Comment

Originally posted by bluemoon View Post
                            According to one of my books a 20kg bag of layers' pellets should last six hens for three weeks, so should last 4 hens about a month.
                            Good to know me maths is still on form
                            Urban Escape Blog

Comment

Originally posted by pdblake View Post
                              Councils do like to drag their backsides don't they I just checked my email records and the last time I asked them something, about the length of the allotment waiting list, they took 6 days to get back to me

I make that a 20kg bag should last about 4-5 weeks then. Now, just need to see if the agricultural feed place around the corner actually sells it
                              Is that the BATA place near the T*sco car park? We are actually nearer to the PJ Pets place in Hull but occasionally go into Beverley so it would be useful to know.

Comment

It's the one on Norwood, opposite Netto. No idea what it's called or wheter they sell chicken pellets though

Having no transport is a pain sometimes, but I often find what I can't get from a local shop I can usually get online.
                                Urban Escape Blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X