No announcement yet.

Is Dorrit actually a Dennis?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well...he WAS quiet. But, just for the sake of it he jumped up on to his log and screamed the place down for a good ten minutes...in full view of the neighbours.

Oh god...It's stressful...innit?
    I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

Comment

yup lol i think if i'd had to do it any longer i'd have had a nervous breakdown .... i know it's hard, but you really need to make a decision xxxx

Comment

I've made it...he needs to go. I've emailed the breeder...he'll take him back, but he's two hours away!!! I need rid of him pronto...and I hadn't planned on making that journey today!

I have asked a few people local to me if they want him...but they've not replied yet.

He's lovely...and if I was totally remote I'd keep him...but...I'm not, so he has to find a new home...with new ladies to love!

Comment

i definitely think you made the right decision, cos the chooks are supposed to be relaxing and worrying about the neighbours isn't conducive to that lol

Comment

Cockerels often crow a lot when they first get the idea, but once they are 'established' they tend only to crow once in the morning..... UNLESS..... they can hear another cockerel answering! It is territorial, and if he can hear the next door neighbour, they will spend a LOT of time competing as to who has the loudest voice......
            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Only just caught up with this one Bephlam. What rotten luck! I'm sure the breeder wasn't pulling a fast one. With the pure breeds it is really hard to tell - till they crow or lay and egg! At least with the hybrids, you know! Nothing fancy but they do what they say on the tin!
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Well there is definitely not another cockerel around...I've been here 9 years and never heard one...not even a whisper!

The thing is...he's really brought harmony to the flock. The big girls used to make a lot of noise and scream, but now...nothing! They're soooo much more happy now that they have a 'boy toy'. If I could stop him crowing so early I'd keep him...even though I'm sure the local council rules that cockerels are not permitted - still, they can't evict me from a private house...just tell me to get rid of him, right? and if I don't comply...face a fine!!

It would be easy to keep him quiet enough in the winter...but summer...when it's light until midnight and light again at 3am!! How would I keep the little begger quiet then??

Seee Hilary...you're making me want to keep him. No, truth is...I've wanted to keep him from the moment I knew....he's a character!

Comment

Ok, I took this quick video...but...for some reason I can't work out how to turn it around!!

Dorrit, now known as Max, doing what s/he does best - Photobucket

So, if you're willing to tilt your head to the side...you'll see what Dorrit (now Max) is doing...and if you can...confirm if it's the start of a crow!

Thank ya!

Ps: Well done with ye'r 3 eggs Flum!!!
                  PPs: Can someone tell me how to turn this so I can put it on my blog. It's sooo funny!!

Comment

No idea how to turn it round but there's not much doubt what he's doing! (Looked at it on the laptop so just put that on it's side!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Bephlam View Post
                      Ok, I took this quick video...but...for some reason I can't work out how to turn it around!!

Dorrit, now known as Max, doing what s/he does best - Photobucket

So, if you're willing to tilt your head to the side...you'll see what Dorrit (now Max) is doing...and if you can...confirm if it's the start of a crow!

Thank ya!

Ps: Well done with ye'r 3 eggs Flum!!!
                      PPs: Can someone tell me how to turn this so I can put it on my blog. It's sooo funny!!
                      LOL .I wouldnt mind it myself (more injoy the sound of it ) but same as you' people next door would moan/contact the local Council .The ones i have hatched all seem to be male by the looks of it >.< good times await ...........
                      Last edited by davefromthechipie; 19-04-2009, 06:06 PM.
                      Blog

Hythe kent allotments

Comment

Like you Dave...we are enjoying it. He's hilarious...!! But, I can't see the neighbours seeing the funny side of it long term.

I'm about to go outside and get inside the house, whilst my OH covers every possible light entry point (apart from the main air vents) with something to stop light getting in!! I'll be the 'guinea pig'....see how much light is still there when it's taped up good and proper!!

The things we do for this hobby!

Comment

i can't confirm it by sound cos of no speakers, but i'm 99.9% certain it was doing a remarkable impression of a cockerel ..... maybe you could try it keeping him quiet, basically if you can totally blackout the chook house, he won't crow, and they will get used to staying in the house later ..... my neighbours all said that they either didn't hear mine or they werent bothered apart from my next door neighbours cos she hsn't been sleeping well and has been sleeping in back bedroom, and the one next to them who got woken up cos he works shifts .......... they all said if he woke em up he would disappear onto someones plate lol .... most people really won't be bothered about during the day

Comment

If you want some pure breed Salmon Faverolle eggs I've got TWO SF cockerals..but no hens.

They are really sweet!

If the breeder will take cocky back I'me sure your neighbours will be OK for a couple of days. I have heard that if you put cockerles in a LOW coop this might quieten him down for a while as they need to extend there neck upwards to crow......apparently!
                            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                              If you want some pure breed Salmon Faverolle eggs I've got TWO SF cockerals..but no hens.

They are really sweet!

If the breeder will take cocky back I'me sure your neighbours will be OK for a couple of days. I have heard that if you put cockerles in a LOW coop this might quieten him down for a while as they need to extend there neck upwards to crow......apparently!
                              that didn't work with coco snadger, he used to crow lying down

Comment

Unfortunately he'll probably get louder than that! My mums neighbour got 2 POL that both started to crow, sounded a bit peacocks at first. Even my mum who's a bit deaf wasn't too keen. They did get swapped by the breeder to hens.
                                When I stay with my sister in France the sound of the cockerels in the neighbouring farms never bother me. I think you get used to it and don't even notice in the end. It's a shame to have to see him go now you are attached. Let's hope your light proofing works.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X