• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
    that didn't work with coco snadger, he used to crow lying down
    Trust yours to be an awkward git!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Well...I'm happy to report that I haven't heard a crow yet...and it's 6.22. So, either the light proofing has indeed worked...or, they're all dead through suffocation!! I doubt that though...although I've taped over the gaps to stop light coming in...their vents at the top aren't blocked...and I'm sure the coup is more 'airy' than I think...considering it was home made!!

I have found him a home....Yay!!! So chuffed...spoke to a woman on PP who is willing to take him and keep him until he's an old cockerel! So, just need to arrange getting him there now...it's a journey, but better than knowing he'll be culled, right??

Let's just hope they're all ok when I take the black bags off the doorways today!!

I'm making myself worried now!!
      I love to talk about nothing. It's the only thing I know anything about!!

Our Blog - http://chancecottage.blogspot.com/

Comment

Further to 'he will shut up after a while if he's the only one', there is one snag to the theory, in a word "Echo"...... A neighbour of my parents had a dog which spent a lot of time barking at his own echo (there was a big factory just the right distance away)........
        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

I think one of my dogs bark at it's own echo...or shadow...or reflection!! He's a big b*gger!!!

Max (Dorrit's new name) is definitely crowing just for the sake of it now. He's totally besotted with himself...lol. He crows...listens for a reply...hears nothing...so crows again...and again...lol!!

Anyway...he'll be leaving for his lovely new home soon, where he crow until his little hearts content!!

Comment

Glad you have sorted a home for him hon
            WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Me too Fiona...when he's gone I'll build those beds! I'm still copying yours...only half the depth!!

Comment

Bless him...pleased you've found him a good home!
                the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

He even looks like a cockerel to me Belpham, but then I do spend every non-working moment staring lovingly at two of them. Elvis still doesn't crow, but Coco is very loud indeed. Fortunately they're kept on our lotties and there are other cockerels there too which, as Hilary says, just seems to encourage him, but at least nobody minds and so we just think his crowing is funny. We think Elvis is so quiet because Coco is a very dominant lad, all typical cockerel swagger. If Elvis was on his own with a few hens it might be a different story. Elvis is also quite small for a cockerel whereas Coco is HUGE and getting bigger all the time, so I think Elvis's tendency to not crow is a survival thing, if he acted too much like a cockerel Coco would probably kick the $*£& out of him. As it is Elvis is developing a very Leghorny look, so he'll probably stay quite small.
                  Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Good luck with the rehoming. We have a free pet re-homing group here in Norfolk which a lot of different animals/pets get advertised on, don't know if you have one in your area. Also will a local battery hen rescue place take on cocks. Ours does, and if you adopt one it has to be for a pet and not as a meal!
                    In answer to your question about my friend with the LS cock she does have neighbours but they (at the moment) don't seem to mind.

Comment

I'm so relieved (as I'm sure YOU are!) that you've found him a home for life. What a shame though, you get so attached in such a short time don't you?
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

i'm so glad you found him a home, knowing they are going to grow old is such a relief xxx

Comment

Originally posted by bluemoon View Post
                          He even looks like a cockerel to me Belpham.
                          You know...he sooo looks like a cockerel it's unbelievable that I didn't know from the get go. But, when a trusted breeder assures you it's a female...and they're so weak and quiet...I think you just assume. Even when he was crowing, I convinced myself it was a mistake. At the end of the day...I believe what I want to believe at the time!

Originally posted by RichmondHens View Post
                          We have a free pet re-homing group here in Norfolk which a lot of different animals/pets get advertised on, don't know if you have one in your area.
                          I don't think we do have this facility, but it's a good idea...maybe I should start one! I tried to advertise him on freecycle, but only one would allow it. Said it didn't allow pets...so I argued the 'it's a chicken not a pet' line...then they said no livestock...so I argued, but it'll save him going to the landfill in the sky...But alas...no!! lol You gotta try though!

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                          What a shame though, you get so attached in such a short time don't you?
                          You sure do Flum...I am soooo going to miss him, but I know I'm making the right decision. He's adorable, but he needs to go. At least I know that I'll definitely want a cockerel again in the future. I don't think the girls will be too pleased with losing their boy toy either!

Originally posted by lynda66 View Post
                          i'm so glad you found him a home, knowing they are going to grow old is such a relief xxx
                          I am so relieved...since I got him I've been ill with worry about his fate but today I jumped for joy! I am sad, but I know he'll be fine..she's promised me pics of him with his girls in 6 months time, so we'll see how he's changed!

and....I'm picking up a black copper maran from the breeder on the way home from dropping Max off!

Max leaves for his new home on Wednesday @ 2pm!
                          Last edited by Bephlam; 20-04-2009, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Really pleased you have found Max a good home.

Comment

So it's Au revoir Max - you'll see him again if only in pics. That's nice. DO make sure the Copper Maran is a lass won't you?
                              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X