No announcement yet.

Working on the run

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here I am! The pop-hole (auto) has just closed.

They are 17 weeks old today, we were told - and are really lovely. They had been moved into the pen they were in just this morning so to minimise stress, our poultry man suggested we keep them in the house for 3 - 4 days to make sure they know it as their safe place. They've got temporary feed and water containers in there for the duration. It seemed at bit cramped and mean but once they were in there they've actually got quite a bit of room - most of the day they were only using half the house. By mid afternoon they were yomping about the place and eating, drinking, nebbing out the door etc.

Shaun at Outgate Poultry suggested making some sort of mesh cover for the pop-hole for the few days they are in there, so they get the daylight but the pop-hole can open and shut freely.

They are called Ruby, Garnet, Topaz and Amber - the Rock Chicks! (I'm sure some fellow pedant will be dying to point out that amber isn't a rock it's a resin but I just don't care!)

I'm really looking forward to getting to know them. More pics later in the week. Whooo! I'm a chicken-friend!
    Attached Files
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

As if by magic....and about time too!

My German Shepherd dog is called Amber (even though she's mainly black)

Welcome to the world of chookiness Flum.................you'll kick yourself for not getting chooks til now........... and never regret it!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Nice one on the hens flum I bet you dont last 3 -4 days without letting them out :P
        Blog

Hythe kent allotments

Comment

Ooh, welcome to chook-watchers anonymous Flummery
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

Welcome Rock Chicks! Do they realise they're going to be the most spoiltest and loved hens in the county?

I'm with Dave - no way you'll leave them in there 3 or 4 days!

Comment

lovely flum, bet you were like a kid on chistmas morning.....hope you sleep well tonight
              The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Big Congrats !! V excited for you Mrs F.

Comment

About time too Welcome to the joys of chookie-motherhood
                  My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Mum View Post
                    .hope you sleep well tonight
                    Never mind Flum, do you think the chooks will sleep well?
                    Will Flummery be tippy-toeing around in her dressing gown and wellies to check on them?
                    Will life ever be the same again at Flummery Towers?
                    Will Head Rooster now have to get his own supper 'cos the Mrs will be out checking on the Rock Chicks?
                    Will sanity ever return? (was there ever any to start with).

Sorry Flum, obviously had too much Jennings tonight

Comment

Congratulations Flummery!...I struggle to believe you've only now got them...you've been one of us for far longer!Wishing you many happy moments in the life of a Chook watcher!
                      BTW...did the chappie you get them from know that you have a secure run & not just free~ranging?...obviously go with what feels right with you...but if you feel desperate before the three days are up,I'm sure they'll be just fine allowed in their run....Enjoy!
                      the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Originally posted by BilboWaggins View Post
                        Will Flummery be tippy-toeing around in her dressing gown and wellies to check on them?
                        I bet you a 'glass of' that she will be, Bilbo!

Actually, do you think that she's gone to kip down with them...?

Comment

Originally posted by BilboWaggins View Post
                          Don't all us chicken keepers do that anyway?
                          My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Congratulations, Flummery, they look beauties. Love the names too, especially as my girls are going to be Esme, Gytha, Magrat and Agnes and I was a little worried you'd pinch them first.
                            Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Oooooh they're luuuuuverly!

Bet she lets 'em out today though! I let my batties out on their first full day. One stayed in the coop, the rest came out eagerly, lead by Nosey Rosie, and haven't looked back since. Within a week they were thugging (new word!) around like they'd done it all their lives!
                              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

No, they're still in today - I'm going to be good! (First time for everything eh?)
                                The automatic pop-hole opener let in the first light and I went down at 7.30 to change feed, water, poo-pick etc. They were all still in bed! 2 on perch, 2 in the nest box, little beady eyes looking at me with an expression that said "What? WHAT??"

I hope they can't read - their 'temporary' water container is a heavy stoneware pot that says 'cat' on the side! Yesterday, when I reached in through the big, folding-down cleaning side, to refill the water, there was some flapping and panicking as they moved to the far side of the house. This morning, when I moved it, they just watched me. Then I poo-picked and closed the side up and went round to open up the nest box where 2 were snuggled up. Not too much poo so they probably hadn't spent the whole night there, but they didn't flap again and just moved away while I cleared it out. Settling down nicely I'd say!

They were all raised together so seem quite relaxed and settled with each other. Not too much shoving and pecking but that might come when they feel bolder! So, day 2 in Beak House and all's well.
                                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X