No announcement yet.

where do you store your eggs?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also date the eggs because my OH manages to take them from the back if I don't (he thinks he's in the supermarket)
    I thought eggs should be stored in the fridge because salmonella and other bacteria breeds quicker at room temp. They are better if taken out half an hour before use though.

Comment

What I was told ages ago is that the best temperature for storing eggs is just a little above fridge temperature. Sound eggs shouldn't need refrigeration against bacteria unless the alternative is quite a lot warmer. The temperature of the old-fashioned larder is perfect, but fridge is better than WARM room temperature.
      The main reason for fridge storage is that few homes these days have anywhere else that isn't TOO warm!
      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

My larder was originally ok, but then they laid the heating and hot water pipes through it So I have to be careful what goes in there. Even my potatoes sprout in a potato bag
        Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Originally posted by Jardiniere View Post
          i never keep mine in the fridge either and i cant for the life of me remember why....if it spoils the flavour is it because they take on the flavour of stuff they are stored with? I never have surplus anyway...at the moment my three are only laying one or at most two eggs a day between them....and when they are all laying at 3 day ....2 for breakfast (one each) and one for making something else.......like pancakes or batter or cake or biscuits or pudding or something.......
          But surely if they absorb the flavour of things in the fridge they would do the same where ever they are kept unless in a sealed container....?

we keep ours in the salad drawer of our spare (read 'beer') fridge and they are scrummy

Comment

Originally posted by JackieAt View Post
            But surely if they absorb the flavour of things in the fridge they would do the same where ever they are kept unless in a sealed container....?

we keep ours in the salad drawer of our spare (read 'beer') fridge and they are scrummy
            In a fridge, the smells/flavours are sort of 'concentrated' by the way it is seled to keep the cold in, so they transfer easier. Haven't you ever noticed how quickly you realise that something has been lurking in the back of the fridge too long? As soon as you open the door, it hits you in the nose!
            If all you keep in the fridge is beer (in bottles/cans?) then there won't be any smell to transfer across.....
            Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X