where to buy Black Rocks?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to buy Black Rocks?

After reading all the chickeny threads I gather Black Rocks are good for beginners. I found a supplier in Scotland, but it's an awful long way to go for a couple of chooks. Searched the net and it quickly descended into drug references! I'm presuming I'd have to go and pick them up? (the chickens I mean, not the....) I guess no-one delivers live animals? Any advice on where to buy good quality young birds gratefully recieved, and please 'scuse my ignorance!

When I was a lad. going to the cattle market was a treat. I remember that you could buy most things. Perhaps if you googled for "cattle market" etc you may find something more local to you.
    Jax

Comment

Hi rauni

Black Rocks can be bought across the country, I'll have a look in my mag.and see if I can find the nearest one to you.
      www.poultrychat.com

Comment

http://www.theblackrock.co.uk/agents.htm

Here you go
        www.poultrychat.com

Comment

If you could tell me your region, I have a list of poultry suppliers in the UK and may be able to offer a contact?

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'm in North West Wales, near Bangor (Snowdonia). Thanks to links I've found a supplier on Anglesey, which is near enough.
            Unfortunately he no longer supplies Black Rocks, but there is one in Shropshire. Got a tip about some cheaper, locally available chooks called ASA's. Anyone know anything about them?
            Last edited by rauni; 08-01-2006, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Where to buy Black Rocks

Rauni,

All true Black Rocks come from a single source: Muirfield Hatchery in Kinross, Scotland. The breeder is one Peter Siddons. Authorised Agents of Mr Siddons are to be found throughout the UK, as you have been told. I suggest you enter "Muirfield Hatchery" in the Google Search. Choose the link "Black Rock Qualities"- interesting in itself- and at bottom of the page there's a link entitled "authorized Black Rock agents"; that results in a map of the UK showing the whereabouts and contact details of the agents. There are other links on the original page which provide interesting stuff on this bird.

I wish you much joy- and fresh eggs!- from your chickens.

Berr.

Comment

Originally posted by rauni
                Got a tip about some cheaper, locally available chooks called ASA's. Anyone know anything about them?
                Not heard of ASA's - have heard of one called ISA's (ISA browns). They're a hybrid - good layers apparantly.

Comment

That'll be it then, no wonder I coudn't find them anywhere! Thanks

Comment

ISA Browns as alternative to Black Rocks.

Without wishing to pose as the poutry expert I emphatically am not, I've kept ISA Browns. They're a good example of the lay-like-blazes- for -18months hybrids I was talking about. My experience, for what it's worth, would suggest that Black Rocks are well worth paying a premium for. After two years ISA Browns start laying expensive eggs!

Comment

Ah, there's nothing like the voice of actual experience there Berr

Comment

I've had a lot of help here. This seemed like a rare opportunity to help somebody else. However, I acknowledge the possibility that you, Citychick, understand my motives better than I do myself.

Comment

Erm.... I meant it as a compliment.

I had not actual experience of them, only read about them on the internet. You had actual experience, which is heaps better than the marketing blurb... I was just trying to acknowledge that. Sorry for any mis-understanding

Comment

Citychick,
                            Paranoia's a terrible thing. Do pardon me, please.
                            Berr.

Comment

No problem - just glad we cleared that up quickly!

Looking forward to reading more about your chook keeping experiences

Lisa (newbie!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X