No announcement yet.

Hen House arrived!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geat stuff... read one of your posts and thought your new granddaughter was called Paul! The I re-read with the drink put down.....

What a fab pressie!

Comment

I've got all the bits our of the boxes, counted them, ticked them off etc. There's no real hurry as we know we can't get the hens till the run's sorted. Still, it will be lovely to see it up!
      We're building a platform for it - about 18" high - which will be surrounded by wooden sides to give them and their food a bit of shelter. And of course, a long ladder!
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by janeyo View Post
        Geat stuff... read one of your posts and thought your new granddaughter was called Paul! The I re-read with the drink put down.....

What a fab pressie!
        Whoops, I should have put in a comma!

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
          We're building a platform for it - about 18" high - which will be surrounded by wooden sides to give them and their food a bit of shelter. And of course, a long ladder!
          Brill idea but just to state the obvious - make sure you can get in easily to tidy up spillages and retrieve feed and water containers!! Nowt worse than realising all your hard work has made it near impossible to reach things (now where did I learn that one?)
          Happy Gardening,
          Shirley

Comment

I've actually thought about that Shirl! Ther's be a door in that bit, just as there'll be doors in the run. I'm too old to crawl in!

Comment

I just knew I was stating the obvious Just me that is a muppet then
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

Originally posted by shirlthegirl43 View Post
                I just knew I was stating the obvious Just me that is a muppet then
                I don't think that you are alone - was it Nicos who said she was doing headstands to find her first eggs hidden away......??

Comment

Not at all. If I hadn't spent the last 6 months fossicking about on poultry forums I'd be designing a fairly rum run, I suspect! When we first decided to get hens and
                  drew up some house and run plans, you'd have laughed watching us. You couldn't open the nest box because it hit the run roof.
                  The brilliant idea of having a sloping roof that completely hinged, ran up against the fact that you couldn't reach in over it one way, (it was 5ft high) or it drained the rain directly in the run the other way (and you'd have had to be standing inside the run to open it - the run at this point was 1 metre high!)
                  It's only because we've drawn out plans that we've found out just how many ways you can do it wrong! I'm sure we're about to find a few more!

Comment

Congrats Flum.......piccies please?

I know you haven't assembled it yet but their must be a stock photo of it, is there not?

*How sad am I wanting to see piccies of other folks hen houses*
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                      *How sad am I wanting to see piccies of other folks hen houses*
                      theres a lot of sad folks on here then Snadger

welcome to the club Flum, cant wait to see your piccies
                      The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Great news Flum Bet it's up by next weekend though! Are you hoping for some Easter eggs? (No, they won't be chocolate!)
                        My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Excellent news Flum...I'm another needing some piccies!!
                          I'd also get in touch with the chook lady & set a date...we found we worked so much faster getting all our finishing touches done once we knew we had to!!(when we phoned our seller we were given an option of having 10 that weekend...or waiting 2 months for the next lot!!)
                          the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

oooooohhhhh, you are soooo organised Aunty Flum and you've a giant Kinder Egg to have fun putting together. Bet you can't wait now
                            Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                              Hmmm. I wonderd if she would say they're ready now and there'd be a panic! Might ring and ask what the situation is. Good thinking there!
                              If you tell her what you'd like and when you want it she'll probably try to sort something out. When I ordered mine the conversation went something like 'Right, I'll tell you what I'd really like, then you can tell me what's possible and we'll take it from there'. As a result I'm picking up a trio of Crested Cream Legbars and four Welsummer hens 'around Easter time', plus a few hybrids - whatever's available at the time. The hybrids may become Rhode Island Reds if he has some ready when I go to collect. This is not exactly what I'd dreamed of, but it's close. I could have got precisely what I wanted, but it meant travelling a good distance and in the end I compromised with the local chap.
                              Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X