This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

I have just joined so thought I would add my birds to your total!
    2343 + 4 Barred Plymouth Rock + 10 Light Sussex + 8 Rhode Island Red + 1 Black Rock! Makes 2366!! (I hope it does anyway)
    Last edited by SarzWix; 08-11-2010, 04:30 PM. Reason: Advertising not permitted

Comment

• 2364 now. One of my old ladies went over the rainbow bridge during the night to join her other friends over there. Tonight, I've been very "sensible" and made a start on culling the excess cockerels - 1 Minorca x Jersey Giant, 6ish months old and looks quite meaty! As it's the first time I've ever done one on my own, I'm quite proud of myself, that I could do it calmly and without any distress to the bird. Now I'm in the middle of plucking before doing the next bit - anybody got any suggestions about the quickest and easiest way to pluck?
      My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

• Wings are the worst to pluck, it pays to cheat! It is possible to cut away the primary (and sometimes secondary) flight feathers along with a 'fringe' of skin in which their ends are embedded. Primaries are the ones on the section furthest from the body, secondaries come on the next bit inwards. The tiny feathers on the 'leading edge' of the wing (if you imagine the bird in flight) are a right pain to shift, I find it best to apply a damp cloth and the warm with an iron (like pressing clothes with a damp cloth, but more gently).
        For most of the rest, if you can't pluck while the bird is still warm, hang for up to 48 hours and pluck after that (probably a bit late for this one).
        Some people prefer to 'wet pluck' but I always found that messy the few times I tried it, the feathers stick to damp fingers....
        Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

• Now it's 2363 - ~I "did" another cockerel tonight. Definitely getting quicker at this plucking lark, but I did tear some of the skin a bit again. Never mind, it's for my dinner tomorrow Think a 4lb bird (oven-ready weight) will do me quite a few meals!
          Last edited by MaureenHall; 13-11-2010, 10:54 PM.

Comment

• And another crowing youngster is ready for the freezer so we're now at 2362.

I had yesterdays for dinner today - fabulous taste and texture. Looking forward to having one of the Croads now (but not really looking forward to doing the deed and all the prep work, they're HUGE )

Comment

• minus one cockerel(sunday lunch...) and dorking sold, pekin sold = 2359

Comment

• Down one, to 2358.

Another Battie turned up her toes. RIP Battie.
                All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

• Up 2 = 2360
                  Two Silkie chicks hatched.

Comment

• 2359 - my little 4 month black booted belgian finally went. She died in her sleep and was lying down under the perch - poor wee thing, just skin and bone (400grammes).

Comment

• Awww, sorry to hear that Jess.

I have to say, I'm always amazed at how little a Chook weighs. My Batties are not much more than just skin and bone when I pick them up, and they have ad-lib pellets and grass all day, and corn/treats in the evening. I guess it's just they way they are bred. So, I can understand your Bantam being light.

Comment

• 2360! Just got a new buff sussex cockerel - Radagast the brown.Gandalf's replacement. He is lovely and eats mealworms straight out of your hand!

Comment

• Sounds lovely Petal.

Lost another Oldie, so we're down to 2359.

Comment

• 2359 minus our silver dorking cockerel today. Sudden loss of weight, nasty eye injury, covered in lice so had to be culled. Sad. checked others, no lice, wierd. louse powder is going on them anyway.......2358

Comment

• Originally posted by petal View Post
                              2359 minus our silver dorking cockerel today. Sudden loss of weight, nasty eye injury, covered in lice so had to be culled. Sad. checked others, no lice, wierd. louse powder is going on them anyway.......2358
                              Sorry to hear it. Ill chickens often get lice as they don't preen or dustbathe. Persistent lice on a particular bird is supposed to be a sign of something wrong, although it may not be obvious what.

Comment

• He was riddled, which was odd as immy deloused every bird 2 weeks ago,their winter treat - it kept her very busy but you should have heard the language!!! His eye was fine last weekend but it looked as if the eye ball had been punctured by something during the week?pus was oozing out of it - big yuck.
                                Last edited by petal; 28-11-2010, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X