poorly chooks

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poorly chooks

Is there anyone out there that can help me?
    One year ago i got 8 ex-bats, i lost one to the fox but since then all was well till recently they have been fine, apart from the odd touch of bumble foot. But now i lost one recently ( about a month ago) from a breathing and chest rattle, she died on the way to the vets, but i still went in to get something for the others, they all seemed fine. I aquired a cock and 2 hens who needed a home they mingle well and are settled. 2 days ago my big chick started sitting around and now wont leave my sofa, she ate a little yesterday and drank but now she is just sleeping. Her breathing is fine but she is a little smelly around her bottom, but has always been a bit messy there ,please help me someone as i cant bear to loose another one

Hi,

Sorry to hear she is poorly.

I have only had mine a few days so can't offer much help, sorry.

Could an egg have burst inside? This can make them ill.

I am sure there was a post reacently about this.

Let us know how you get on, Mandy

Comment

Have you tried worming her?
      why is she on your sofa?
      Yo an' Bob
      Walk lightly on the earth
      take only what you need
      give all you can
      and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Oh dear, it's not nice when they die on you is it? If she's eating and drinking then there's good hope. Have you wormed her recently? Checked for lice/mites? Has she eaten anything funny/too much of something that might have affected her? Does her breath smell really bad or is it okay?

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

They are all wormed and up to date, no mites or lice have been fluffing them all up with the powder. She is on my sofa because she wants to be!
          No bad breath and she doesnt feel clogged up on the inside, no excess of any treats lots of mash, some corn and cooked up veg peelings

Comment

If she's eating and drinking then there's every chance she'll perk up. She might be suffering from the heat, my chickens are off the lay at the moment because they don't like the weather at the moment. Maybe that's why she's inside with you, getting a bit of shade? In any case, if she gets worse and you're worried about her, the vet is always the best option. Just make sure she has plenty of good clean water and she's not losing too much weight.

Comment

I find mine get a bit smelly round the back end if they have been stressed. I had one like that last year, poo yellow,frothy and very smelly. Vet gave me a 3-day course of anti-B's for her. Sadly fox took her before she finished the course.
              I had one like that the other week, the next day she had perked up and was belting round to get her share of the grub. Perhaps they have off days like we do?
              They (mine, at least) also don't rain rain and mud which we have had a lots of in the last couple of days, run had only just dried out from last lot

If in doubt, or she don't perk up deffo vets.
              Kirsty b xx

Comment

Hi guys thanks for all the help, but sadly big chick passed away this morning. Vet suggested anti-b's for others just in case, but not sure what or why.

Comment

That is sad news. Hope your others are all okay and stay that way.
                  Happy Gardening,
                  Shirley

Comment

Really sorry to hear that... sometimes they just die despite all your best efforts. The vet probably prescribed antibiotics for the rest of your girls in case big chick had a contagious infection. Best of luck with the rest of your girls.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X