No announcement yet.

Wanting to start keeping hens

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be getting my girls in a few months once run & coop are sorted. Luckily rats don't freak me out and I expect there will be the odd one (or ten!) around simply because of where my allotment is and because a few of the other plot holders are a bit lazy as regards coop & run hygiene etc. It's up to me to make their home as secure and safe as possible for my girls.....I'm sure once Neil is let loose on the buildings I have in mind he'll have them like Fort Knox!

I'm sure, quietandy, once you get your girls you'll never regret it! I've done tons of internet & book research over the past few months and EVERYBODY emphasises just how much fun chickens are and how you'll never regret it! Durham Hens have some lovely breeds/varieties available too - they've got some gorgeous Polish available at the moment. I told Margaret off the other day for putting a video up on their Facebook page which REALLY tempted me
    If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      Really? I struggle to believe that.
      Just after we got the chooks i got given a rat trap by a concerned relative. The bait was never touched. I have an outdoor trail camera that has never picked up a rat on the footage, we have loads of cats around us, both domestic and feral farm cats, we're in the middle of nowhere with other groups of chickens in the local area with big rat problems, the run is covered so doesn't get very muddy, i use wood shavings from my father in laws wood turning hobby, regularly clean the run out and put it on the compost heap, don't feed any kitchen waste and use the treadle feeder.

No rat holes around the run, sheds, hedge line. No damage to the run, coop, sheds, etc. No rats.

i think there are so many other sources of food that are more easily available we are the lowest ranked source of feed so the least attractive to the little critters...

Comment

I wish we were as lucky. I've also been very careful, feed kept in bins, I use the local tree surgeons wood chip, area is changed often within a 50meter fence, I never fed any kitchen scraps either.

I also have trouble with wild bird seed - even that bird food comes in at night.

Comment

Hey guys. Thanks for all the input to my original question. I have been on my introductory course today and i am sold. With permission and signed paperwork i have the half plot next door so i now have the room. So i came away with a Durham Hens Coop too!!!!!!!

Comment

SO exciting!!! Have you started building a run yet?

Looking forward to hearing all about your gorgeous girlies once you get them
            If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Gillykat View Post
              SO exciting!!! Have you started building a run yet?

Looking forward to hearing all about your gorgeous girlies once you get them
              Ha yes it is quite exciting. I am looking forward to it. I haven't started building a run yet. I think I am going to go the walk in run style that you can buy with metal frames and wire. The ones they had on show looked really sturdy and come with a "skirt" to bury on the outside of the run to stop anything tunneling under the frame. Think I will put paving slabs over the top too just to make sure.

I am only think 4 or 6 max although I am told I will end up getting more!

An automatic door opener for the mornings as I am away for work at 5am most mornings.

Do Hens normally lay during the day or at night? I know they look for dark areas to lay in.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	62261019_10156472062972741_6839319507131957248_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	2384001

Got my run nearly sorted and my hen house built today. After the photo was taken i have placed slabs all around the side on the left so the run has a "skirt" 12" wide all around and on that is 2'x2' 2" thick paving slabs. Hopefully that has made it quite difficult to tunnel under?

Comment

Looks great Andy.
                  When do the chooks arrive?

Comment

Tomorrow. Going to Durham hens to pick some up. Going to get 6. I think that is a manageable amount to start with. Blue Haze, Copper Black, Speckeldy, Rhode Rock and Black Tail. Not sure of the 6th one at the minute.

Comment

We'll need photos......................and names.

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ave_25436.html

Comment

That run is fantastic, that is well fox proofed.
                        I hope you have a good day tomorrow.
                        Last edited by Scarlet; 08-06-2019, 08:37 PM.

Comment

When it comes to buying the 6th one have a think about the egg colours as well as the colours of the birds! Nothing better than opening up a box of home laid eggs all different colours!

How thick is the mesh on the run?

Might be worth putting the house up on a couple of pallets to save your back!

Comment

Good thought about the pallets, Stan.
                            My coops up on a "stand" made from a pallet on 4 blocks, high enough for the chooks to walk beneath it. They like rummaging around down there.
                            Cleaning it out is also easier.

Comment

Originally posted by quietandy View Post
                              Do Hens normally lay during the day or at night? I know they look for dark areas to lay in.
                              In the day, usually in the morning. Is there anyone around to collect the eggs late morning? It's best if they are collected promptly. If not it may be wise to put some strips of black plastic at the opening of the nest box to stop any bad egg eating habits.

Comment

But of course there will be photos Veggie. I will have to Introduce them to the vine.

Good shout about egg colours Stan. I had never even thought about that. What an eggscelent idea ��*♂️

Not sure about the wire thickness. Described as heavy duty. It is also coated in plastic and the holes are 20mm.

I don't have any pallets handy but I do have some fence posts I could Jimmy something together fairly easily. They would need a ramp/ladder too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X