No announcement yet.

Great big clumps of clay

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Ruthie, I've just merged your 2 threads about your clay clods - so that others know the background to your problem!

Comment

Scatter lime over it then if you are a digging person dig in lots of straw
      it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Or you could dig trenches spread straw along the bottom put potatoes in and cover, as your potatoes grow build up the sides to cover the shaws, once you have your potatoes up into drills spread any grass cuttings or any vegetative waste along the valleys, clay is usually rich in nutrients and only needs opened up hence the straw and green waste, as you lift your potatoes the green waste will get covered and that way your full garden has had something added to it, but remember there is no quick remedy other than working the soil
        Last edited by rary; 25-03-2019, 04:04 PM.
        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Have heavy clay here. As I understand clay breaker is just gypsum. I got 20kg of gypsum for £10 odd and put it on at the farm rate of 5tons ha = 500g m2. Have also added lots of manure (perhaps put it only in your half of the car boot :-) ) seaweed & home made compost. Result is decent looking soil but it does need manure/seaweed each year or reverts towards clay. If drier summers continue you will be pleased to have clay if can get a decent 6" top

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X