First Tomatoes from Seed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    I'm also growing tomatoes for the first time this year. I've got four - two are going outside in my raised beds (square foot garden) and I thought I might grow one inside my plastic grow house now I've got one, maybe in a growbag or similar, to see how they compare. The other is a spare.

I have no idea if they are doing good for their age - they seem OK. These were sown on 10 March in a heated propagator then spent most of their life on my sunniest windowsill until recently. As the weather has warmed up in the last week I've been putting them outside during the day to get more light and bringing them in at night. I'm hoping once they are potted on they can go into the grow house until ready to plant out.

Photos here:
    https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#...D-5BD84820740D
    https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#...9-295D0B3586F9

How are they looking?
    Look great to me, maybe a little feed as see one lower leaf yellow (dont mean the cotyledons as they die off) and plenty of sun (easy in essex)

Comment

Thanks - any particular free? Tomato feed at this stage?
      Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 19-04-2018, 10:57 AM.

Comment

A bit of weak feed never goes amiss once the plants start growing on (I use miracle grow as it seems to be the cheapest) + obviously with this sudden burst in to Summer temps you may will need to water more often.

Comment

For now I’ve potted them on to a slightly bigger pot with some fresh compost. That should help a little bit. If it doesn’t pick up in a week or so I will give it some weak feed.
          Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 19-04-2018, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Yes potting on was a good alternative

Comment

And here is how they are looking now. They are now living in the mini greenhouse and I’m hoping to plant two of them out in the raised beds in a few weeks. One in a growbag in the greenhouse.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#...E-3E9FC4DC17E1

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#...6-D90D28A20F46

Comment

Hi, you're Tom's look really healthy but I can't help thinking they need a larger pot.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                  Hi, you're Tom's look really healthy but I can't help thinking they need a larger pot.
                  They are due to be potted on or planted out soon. I’ve checked the roots and it doesn’t seem to be anywhere near to being pot bound.

Comment

One of my guys getting a little sun, 3 of them are roughly the same size now.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by ryanM; 08-05-2018, 06:53 PM.

Comment

cracking looking plant - couple of side-shoots to take out though :-)

Comment

Originally posted by nickdub View Post
                        cracking looking plant - couple of side-shoots to take out though :-)
                        Thank you Nick, working on the side shoots now trying to keep these guys nice and tidy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X